PDA

View Full Version : New 2009 Hardy USA - fly reels coming soon..........

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Had a good phone conversation with Hardy USA representative yesterday.

They are no longer using Cortland as their US distributor.

By moving to Korea they will lose some nostalgia but the facts are that they can afford to use a grade higher in the alloy and the machining in Korea is better than it was in England.

With their new situation their fly reels will be far less expensive.

For the Spey casters the large Cascapedia which was over $1000 is now under $500?

They will have original spec Hardy 'Marguis Salmon #1, #2 and #3' from $299 for Spey casters.

I believe the 'LRH Lightweight' will be around $300 too

They have some new English made Hardy 'Perfects' that will be in trout sizes only for now for $850-$950 due to British production costs and import duties.

The 'Bougela VI' 4" will be around $575 too.

Hardy is going to make a comeback in the USA and world market for sure now with competitive prices.

They have new fly rods too.

I think that moving production to Korea was a far better decision than going out of business due to high market prices.

oldtrout
10-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Personally, I always try to buy "Made in America," most especially my fishing gear!

A little news item:
Hardy & Greys is investing a million dollars to open a 14,000 sq ft facility in Lancaster PA.
The facility will have a distribution center stocked with over 1000 Hardy & Greys products.
It will have a museum/showroom displaying old and new products. A meeting place for fishing groups and a 100 ft casting pond for casting competions. There will also be offices for sales, marketing and finance and product devolopment.

shawn kempkes
10-23-2008, 12:23 PM
300 for a marquis made in KOREA is still to much money. I bet it costs them less than 50 bucks to be made there. If hardy wants to make a come back they should price it the same or less than the orvis battenkill mid arbor. Sorry for the rant.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-23-2008, 08:42 PM
No problem Shawn.................

They are not competing with the Orvis Mid-Arbor Battenkill which is our best selling fly reel.

Our Spey guys at the shop can't wait to see them.

They are in large sizes (Salmon #1, 2 & 3) for Spey rods.

Nailknot
10-24-2008, 05:58 PM
what's the eta on the lower priced reels?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-24-2008, 11:39 PM
The Hardy USA Rep is coming to our shop in a few weeks with lots of samples.

We will know much more then.

Hairstacker
10-25-2008, 02:40 PM
I too am looking forward to more details when they emerge. I really like the sound of a good click and pawl style reel but it doesn't seem like there are many being manufactured these days besides Hardy. Speaking for myself, I think this is a good development.

dtp916
10-29-2008, 09:10 PM
I too am looking forward to more details when they emerge. I really like the sound of a good click and pawl style reel but it doesn't seem like there are many being manufactured these days besides Hardy. Speaking for myself, I think this is a good development.

Abel Creek or Trout series, Mike. Check 'em out.

Hairstacker
10-30-2008, 08:27 AM
James, I'll do that, thank you for the suggestion! :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
11-15-2008, 10:29 AM
Hardy people were at our shop this past Thursday morning and they brought lots of new goodies.

They had rods and reels that will sell in the US market place.

They have a high end single hand fly rod series that sells for $575 usd which is the bottom range of the high end rods today.

The Cascapedias, Bougles, Light Weights and Marguis Salmon are all made in Korea and slight better than the old ones at around half the price of last years made in England production.

The Perfects are in trout sizes only for now and still made in England so they are at $850.

Two of the best market places that Hardy really does well in is the two handed/Spey market and the split cane market.

We will be carrying mostly the larger two handed reels for now.

Nailknot
11-15-2008, 05:24 PM
Looks like the Marquis Salmon 1 would be a good fit for the switch and under 7wt spey rods if the weight is under 8ozs. When will you have a few for sale?