PDA

View Full Version : Charlie's new boat....1st trip on the American

mikel
10-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Well, I was the guy...Friday morning...the story is below, but I have to say a quick hello first. I have watched this board for a while and enjoyed it immensely. I post at a local board in Santa Cruiz and the fish sniffer board a little. I'm a tuber in the higher E Sierra lakes and steelheader on the Trinity/Klamath...

I met Charlie Gonzales for the 1st time Friday morning and by Friday afternoon he was my friend. He :o may not be all that pleased with my report:eek: but I think it's a fair assessment of our day together...

The story below is my post on the sniffer board. I felt like I should join up here and share it.
--------------------------------------
So, as I decided to wimp out of the trip to Heenan I located a guide to squire me down the AR in his drift boat after steelies and stripers. Sorry for no pics this trip...next time...

Met at Howe Ave at 6:00 and shuttled up to the launch area...got on the water at 1st light and swung flies and nymphed under a thingamabobber in the first sections. No takers, no lookers, no other fishermen. hmmmm

Switched over to stripers...throwing a 9 wt, full sink and a hoochie looking thing that was 4-5" long. My guide was extremely patient with me and gave me 2 or 3 solid casting tips that got me throwing that heavey mess fairly effectively after about 30 minutes of practice and hard work...

By now the wind is at 15-20, swirling and gusting to 30...really helpful for a guy struggling to throw a rig that clearly has him overmatched. BUT my guide remained patient and helpful and worked very hard to keep the boat in shape for me in that wind...tough conditions...

We drifted a great looking run with no results and the guide insisted on a short break and snack. I think he was concerned about a suicide attempt in his immaculate boat

He said he'd bring the food, so I was at his mercy. What does he bring out? Hostess cupcakes and poor coffee? No....fresh melon cut bite size, nice cheese and fresh crackers...good start...and then...not 1 but 2 different styles of DUCK SAUSAGE that was to flipping die for! Hey, you can't make this stuff up...

Spirits raised by the food we went back on the attack...winging that monster rig with a vengeance we got that hoochie thing is a gazillion fishy looking spots...uh, with no results...at all...

bummer

So we switch back to the nymphs as the water dictates...back in my element I'm running my thingamabobber through prime drift after prime drift...uh, was that a take down....nope, it was a snag...

Well, at the risk of keeping this from getting out of control...my poor guide worked himself to death in the wind and so did I but we didn't produce as much as a single takedown the whole day.

BUT....let me tell you about lunch...I'm all set for my soggy turkey club sandwich and this guy says "here, this shrimp cocktail is for you."

HUH? No kidding...the guy brings out a cold soup made with shrimp, striped bass, spiced up and full of veggies...We should have just eaten by a fire and talked fishing all day. The guy is the rowing gourmet!

I had a great time. we saw tons of otters, turkeys, deer, herons, etc...the river is beautiful. I got some great help with casting (that I never knew I needed til I tried the striper rig) and learned a ton about a new river...

My guide worked his heart out for me and we laughed and enjoyed being out there all day...no fish, but a great day...what more can you ask for, I guess...

-Mike

Adam Grace
10-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Mike, I agree Charlie is a hard working guide, fun to hang out with and one HELL of a cook (chef). I'm glad that you had a fun time out on the water with him. Next time I know he'll get you into fish, Charlie knows the river well!

Charlie Gonzales
10-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Hey Mike...

How can anybody not like that report, you worked your but off that day, I worked my but off that day, but we just didint get the results that we so often are looking for. Actually I did get the results that I am always looking for, the ability to teach an angler something that maybe they werent aware of before our trip. I cant remember having anybody pick the double-haul as quickly as you did; I set Mike up with an 8wt Sage XI2 with a 10wt Rio Outbound floater and he was quicly launching enough line to make any guide happy.

I look forward to fishing with you durring shad season.

mikel
10-15-2008, 12:36 PM
I'll be there, Charlie...Once we set a date I'll diet for a few days and get ready:Dfor the culinary portion of the day...and I promise to work on the haul so you can be proud all over again...-m

RobK.
10-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Hey Mike...

How can anybody not like that report, you worked your but off that day, I worked my but off that day, but we just didint get the results that we so often are looking for. Actually I did get the results that I am always looking for, the ability to teach an angler something that maybe they werent aware of before our trip. I cant remember having anybody pick the double-haul as quickly as you did; I set Mike up with an 8wt Sage XI2 with a 10wt Rio Outbound floater and he was quicly launching enough line to make any guide happy.

I look forward to fishing with you durring shad season.

Hey Chartie

how long have you been guiding ??

Very cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

loganmike
10-21-2008, 10:13 PM
Hi Rob, it is good to hear from you again. hope you are well.

mike

RobK.
10-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Hi Rob, it is good to hear from you again. hope you are well.

mike

Every time i tried to log in i got this !!!!

""You have been banned for the following reason:
No reason was specified.
Date the ban will be lifted: Never"

I thought i was a bad boy and had been banned and gave up when i saw that .
Boy that bugged me , so months of feeling rejected i finally ( i know i am slow ) e-mailed Bill , Gregg and Eugene asking what the heck i did , (NOTHING) it was a computer error and they took care of me .

Thanks guys !!!!!!!!!!!

RobK.

Charlie Gonzales
10-22-2008, 11:17 PM
Rob

Glad to see your back on the board!

About a year after I started working at Kienes in 2000 I strated guiding and bought my first drift boat. After I left Kienes and started doing tile I fell off the seen a bit but continued to do private lessons; I really try to focus on instruction on the "hows" and "whys" so people can continue to have success, rather than just putting them on fish.

So should we get our duck hunting thread started now or wait a few weeks?

RobK.
10-23-2008, 03:55 PM
Rob

So should we get our duck hunting thread started now or wait a few weeks?

Sound good to me !!!!

I just sold my Browning BPS today and got a camo Beneli Nova .You can buy guns and take them home on the spot here . All it takes is a phone call to check you background and your good to go . Got three this morning , all Gadwall . We need some good freezing cold weather up north to push some more waterfowl in here . Any good duck recipe's you would like to share ?? I love liver so that's how i cook them .