PDA

View Full Version : The guy in the shop

Mr T
10-10-2008, 10:11 PM
I've been out of fly fishing for some time now for a number of reasons but am hoping to get back into now as much as I can. I wanted to pass along a story of my first time at Kienes.

Many years ago, (20+?) I wanted to get in to fly fishing. I was pretty broke, and dumb so I went to big 5 to get all set up. I cobbled up a 7 weight piece of junk setup with a level floating line, some beater glass rod and some junk leader. No clue about tippet, or any thing like that, dry/wet, huh?

I flailed, a lot, at Arden pond and behind it on the river, with no success at all except a couple bluegills dumb enough to impale themselves on a badly dragging fly. This went on for a month or so, until I came across a guy fishing the pond one day just vacuuming out trout on a fly rod. I was mesmerized. There were people fishing bait on either side of him and they got nothing, meanwhile every 2-3 cast he hooked up with another truck trout. I got up the nerve to talk to him and found him to be very nice, he even showed me what he was using, a #16 black ant fished wet and hand-twist retrieved. (I’ll never forget that).
I asked where I could get stuff like that and if he fished the river. Sure he said all the time, great river to fish with a fly. He told me to go to Kienes’ over behind the graphic hobby house and talk to the guys there, and they’ll set me straight. It took me a week to get up the nerve to go in there, I drove by, but this place looked EXPENSIVE, and I was broke. Finally one day after what had to be a low point in casting, with no fish and losing all my flies, I went in with the gear I had. I walked in there and immediately thought to turn around in shame. This stuff was good, my gear was junk; get out before you get laughed at! A guy came up before I ran and said hello and asked if I had any questions. “Well, yeah, actually if you don’t mind, I’m trying to figure out what I’m doing and why I can’t catch a fish with this thing.” I handed the rod and reel to him, and he looked at it, kind of grinned and then said, “What do you want to catch?” “A steelhead out of the American river.” He looked at it again and said “ok, you can do it, but it might be a little hard with this gear, ‘because it’s not the easiest rig in the world to cast.” “It’s all I can afford right now, I replied” “ok, let’s see what we can do.” 45 minutes later I walked out the door with a small bag with a leader, some tippet, some flies, a quick casting lesson, and a hand drawn sketch of the river. “Fish these flies, here in this spot, and keep at it, you’ll hook up”, he had told me when drawing the map. Three X’s marked the spots. I went out later that week, the first time I got a chance and still cast like junk, but the spots he drew on the map were close enough that I could reach them. I broke some flies off and lost some tippet, and did not catch a fish. Still it felt fishy, so I went back a couple days later. About 20 casts in, I got a grab, a MAJOR pull down and then BANG it was gone. It was the last fly. I ran back to the truck, got out of my gear and went straight to the shop. It was near dark, close to closing time and I barely got in there. I walked/flopped in there, and there was that guy; he looked at me and smiled, he knew. From that time on I was hooked on fly fishing. I went as nuts as I could buying and tying, fishing and reading and dreaming about another grab like that one night. I will always remember most fondly the fact that I went into a shop with junk and got welcomed, not made fun of, helped out, not forced to buy stuff or told I had get this or that, but simply guided along in to something really special in my life that I still love to do more than 20 years later. Yeah, of course, the guy was Bill. I didn’t know it was his shop at the time, and he didn’t brag about it. I’ve told a number of people since then this story, and anytime anyone asks me of a shop to go to, I always tell them to go to the place behind the graphic hobby house… (Even though you out lasted them!)

Thanks again Bill.

Hairstacker
10-11-2008, 03:29 AM
That's a great story, thanks for sharing it! Probably many of us started with basic outfits like that. My first fly rod was a fiberglass 7 wt. Abu Garcia I bought at Longs Drugs in Fairfield 26+ years ago. That was back when a 7 wt. was often recommended as a good first, all-around outfit for a beginner. It actually wasn't a bad casting rod but it wasn't very forgiving -- forward cast just a little too soon or late and I was wearing my fly line. I actually liked the rod and remember it fondly, as I learned to cast with it and it got me into quite a few trout on drys and a smattering of bass. Did you ever end up liking yours? By the way, very nice to hear you recount how Bill treated you.:)

k.hanley
10-11-2008, 08:14 AM
Excellent story. Being in the fly fishing business I can hoenstly say Bill is a real gentleman and I'm proud to call him my friend. Our industry suffers because there isn't enough like him. Right about now I'm sure Bill (Grande Boca) is probably going "ah shucks fellas" and that's perfect. He's no big deal....just the real deal. Thanks for sharing the magic Mr. T.
Cheers, Ken

Adam Grace
10-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Mr T, my first experiences was just like that. I came into Kiene's after a handful of experiences at another shop in Sac. I always felt pressured, basically too poor and unwelcome at that shop, making me feel uncomfortable every time I went in there but that was the only shop that I knew of in my general area. During my first experience at Kiene's Fly Shop I was greeted by a short, rounded older gentleman who was extremely friendly. He wasn't trying to sell me stuff nor was I hurried to buy and get out of the shop, he was simply nice and talkative.....even though I could only afford a few necessary materials that day. Before I left I found out that the gentleman that I was talking to was the owner of the shop, which surprised me to no end. I couldn't believe that the owner was so nice and so low pressure, even more shocking was that he spent the time to talk to a low income kid like myself for such a lengthy time. That first experience made an everlasting impression on me and even though his shop was much further away than the other fly shop I always frequented his shop over the other.

Funny thing was that I used to dream about working in a fly shop and a few years later I was invited to work at Kiene's part time. And even though I was currently working full time at another job I spent my available 2 days off a week working for Bill part time and soaking up as much fly fishing information as I could, it seemed more like fun fly fishing school than an actual job. I worked part time at Kienes for at least 8 months before I was offered a full time position. Extremely excited I quickly accepted and continued to work for Bill and Marilyn for another 6 or so years. Over those years I soaked up way more information about fly fishing that I ever could have imagined. I went on some great trips to place all over the world and got to work with some great guys at the shop.

A long story short; because Bill was so kind, friendly, and welcoming I became engrossed into a sport that I now love! It makes me sad to think that if I never went into Kiene's that one day and had such a great experience that I wouldn't be so deeply involved with such a great sport where I gained the opportunity to meet some great people.

Thank you Bill so much for being such a nice guy and for making me feel so welcomed. (getting a little teary eye-eyed writing this right now)

You should already know this Bill, but if you need anything from me all you need to do is just ask. - Adam

P.S. - Thank you Matt for needing your knee surgery and for your involvement in getting me that first job at Kiene's, you deserve credit too.

aaron
10-11-2008, 09:32 AM
Ditto what everyone else has said. Bill and Marilyn do a great job running the shop and making customers and employees feel right at home.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-11-2008, 09:55 AM
I have been leaning on a counter of a fishing store now for over 40 years. It's still beats hot roofing or pouring concrete. That's really working.....

I have fished vicariously though others for years. It's fun....

I would hear about a good place to fish then I would send someone else there because maybe I didn't have time myself. Fun.....

I worked 10 years (1965-1975) in two good sporting goods store and one good bait-n-tackle shop around Sacramento where the owners told me to just answer their questions and they will tell you when they have decided they want to buy something.

After working part time at the best sporting goods store in Sacramento, Sports Unlimited on Arden Way, I told friends that they actually pay me to talk about fishing????

If you have a decent inventory, a good staff and try to help the customer have a better experience it all works out......

PS: Now if Aaron and/or Adam would come back to the shop and do their job in the back on the point of sale system I could actually go fishing again myself.

Thanks for the kind words.....Marilyn and I really appreciate it.

Tracy Chimenti
10-11-2008, 03:36 PM
You're a prince of a man, Bill, and your the only place I go for the fly gear. Great people and no BS!!

David Lee
10-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Since we're on that subject .............

I'd passed thru the shop 5 or 6 times . Not to chatter (always been leery of flyshop salespeople) , but to grab tyin' stuff . I came in on a Winters night for whatever reason ...... just off the river and dressed accordingly .

I was wearing my Dad's old Jones Duck-hunting cap (you know the one - straight outta Sports Afield Mag circa 1950 ......) . Dad had worn that thing since 1963 (well before my time ...) and it was so far gone , it wouldn't take another washin' . Greasy , stained , stinky , faded , etc. . Just barely holding together , right ??

Kiene looks at me ..... with this sly kind of grin ..... and says " How much you want to sell that hat for?"

I said "There's NO amount of money ........."

We spent the next 30 or so minutes 'till close laughing our arses off .

Still , probably the nicest guy I've ever met . Holds my #1 quote position "I am afraid of all large animals , and most small ones , too ." . I hope he makes 100 years .

David

Charlie Gonzales
10-11-2008, 05:12 PM
The Kienes are like family to me and I owe my success in the industry to them, thanks to you both.