PDA

View Full Version : Lower Sac

Randy B
10-08-2008, 05:37 PM
I thought I saw a reference to some tricky drifting around one of the bridges because of construction, is that correct? If so, which bridge and how tricky is it to manuver? Thinking about fishing it on Monday, Posse Ground to Anderson...any reports?

Charlie Gonzales
10-08-2008, 06:07 PM
Cypress Street is under construction. For more info I would call The Fly Shop. Also sounds like the lower river is fishing better.

easymends
10-08-2008, 06:34 PM
The City of Redding voted on 3/18 to close the Sacramento River at Cypress Street Bridge to ALL BOATING ACTIVITY at any flows 7,000 cfs and higher. The Boat Passage will remain open to drift boats at flows lower than 7,000 cfs, though it is still recommended ONLY for experienced rowers as there are some serious hazards in the river at the bridge construction project, with only a narrow chute (20 feet wide) to navigate.

Also, there is bridge construction on the Highway 44 bridge in Redding and the North Street Bridge just upstream from Anderson River Park. If you're boating on this stretch of river, make sure that you take the posted route through the construction zone, it is the only safe way to go.

matt johnson
10-08-2008, 07:43 PM
If you float Posse to Anderson you will go through all THREE bridge construction sites on the river right now!

I believe the Cypress passage is the most technical.

I have been running it in a jet boat.

If you have intermediate or better experience running rivers with oars and understand how to line your boat up and keep it where you want it to go you should be ok.

I was on the river last Tuesday from just above Knighton Island up to Posse Grounds. Saw lots of bent rods. Salmon spawning activity increased up towards Posse Grounds.

I have noticed the guides spread out on all the drifts of the river, so if you want to avoid the construction sites there are lots of opportunities lower on the river. No matter how you slice it this is a good time to be on the river. Good luck! Matt.

Randy B
10-08-2008, 08:17 PM
It has been a while since floating the Lower Sac. My buddy and I are fairly competent on the oars, but why take a chance since guiding/rowing isn't our profession. How is the Bonnyview to Anderson float? Can't remember off the top of my head what bridges we go under on that strech.

Ryan Miller
10-09-2008, 09:28 PM
I guided Bonny to Anderson the other day and it was ok. Make sure you work the water carefully and thoroughly. Fish are not locked in to eggs yet, they are eating them, but don't forget about insects. There is plenty of great water in that float with one bridge/construction area( Airport Road, above Anderson). No worries on this one, line it up, take your time and you will sail through. Bugs... Pat's rubberleg, brown size 6, princes, eggs, golden stones, pt's and your favorites.

Anderson to Barge fished well too!

Have fun,
Ryan

Randy B
10-11-2008, 10:03 AM
Ryan,

Thanks for the info. My buddy and I fished with you a few years back, in the rain, and it was one of our best Lower Sac trips ever. I would highly recommend you to anyone reading this board.

Thanks again for the info.

Randy

Ryan Miller
10-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks Randy, I appreciate the compliment. I always enjoy fishing in the rain!

Feel free to call me for up-to-date info.

Ryan

dave earl
10-12-2008, 10:00 AM
Hey Randy,
That's interesting about the rain. Last year I hit it in December in the rain, not lots of hook-ups but landed 2 of the best fish ever.When it rains it's clearer up top near posse I think