PDA

View Full Version : Putah Creek???

TaylerW
10-08-2008, 01:52 PM
hey!!
i am planning on making a trip to putah creek this saturday and know nothing about it. im going to be wet wading it as the forecast is saying were going to be in 80's. should i brink the 5wt or the 3 wt? and should i bring my intermediate line for my 3? what flies?? and alos what are the best access points?
thanks!!
tayler
a.k.a LS

Scott V
10-08-2008, 02:08 PM
When I went the other weekend, we used size 20 and smaller flies under an indicator with lots of weight. I was told to use a 5 weight due to the fact you might get into a big fish. Enjoy the crowds. I fished at access #5 which is the first access you come to and then fished up by the bridge.

How did you do on Silverfork last weekend?

TaylerW
10-08-2008, 02:13 PM
i got like 10 between 4 and 10 inches. almost all of them were from the pool ahead of that ledge i tried to climb across.....

JT
10-08-2008, 10:52 PM
I fished Putah Creek today. I landed around 15 fish, the largest being 19". All but 2 fish took a #20 brown mayfly nymph. The other 2 took a #16 olive caddis pupa. There was a decent bwo hatch coming off in the afternoon.

On a Saturday, the crowds will be crazy. I would bring a 5wt. I used a 4wt today, but the flows are still a little high for a 3wt. As Scott said, most people nymph deep under an indicator. You'll want the extra backbone to handle all the weight you'll be using. If you have any questions, PM me.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-09-2008, 12:10 AM
When it finally cools off this month the flows on Putah Creek should come down because the agricultural needs will subside.

November is a good month but the winter in general is very popular as it goes to 'fly fishing only' then, plus flows are very low.

It is popular with #18-20 nymphs on 6x-7x tippets.

For that kind of delicate fly fishing I would be using a long (8'6"- 9') #3-4 weight rod with a soft tip.

PS: Watch out for transmitting those NZ Mud Snails around on your wading boots.