PDA

View Full Version : Sad news....Mel Krieger died this morning.

Anne Vitale
10-07-2008, 09:13 AM
I received this sad message from Mel's wife, Fanny this morning. As a member of the Golden West Women Flyfishers I was fortunate to meet Mel early in my fishing career. The GWWF holds its meetings in Fanny and Mel's home and when Mel was not off fishing some where only the rest of us could dream of going to, he was very generous in sharing his expertise of flyfishing with us. I know Mel didn't expect much of an after life but if he was wrong and there is a river there. I wish him Fish On.

Dear Friends:

It is with great sadness that I write to let you know that Mel passed away this morning at 3:30AM on his final grand adventure.

Although he had been very ill for a while, it is still very painful to face the fact. At least, his illness did not cause him pain and he went very peacefully and his spirit will be with us for a long time.

I look forward to connecting with you in the weeks to come.

With love,

Fanny

Darian
10-07-2008, 09:24 AM
My thoughts go out to the family.... We seem to be losing a number of the important members of this sport, recently.... Only natural, I guess. :sad::sad:

I never had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Krieger but am sure I would've enjoyed it very much. :-) :-)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-07-2008, 09:48 AM
I can tell you Mel had a wonderful full life with tons of good friends and lots of great fly fishing trips all over the world.

Many of us worked for Mel years ago helping teach his fly fishing schools.

Mel had a huge impact on the sport with his great educational videos that are still on the top 10 list today.

Now Mel is up there in fly fishing heaven reminiscing with the rest of the great fly fishing people.

Adam Grace
10-07-2008, 02:19 PM
That's too bad. The fly fishing community will sorely miss Mel.

Kentucky Jim
10-07-2008, 08:28 PM
His book and DVDs have been instrumental in my own casting and teaching. Although I never met him, I will miss him.

nrthcsteel
10-07-2008, 09:04 PM
Sad news indeed. Never had the pleasure of meeting him. My thoughts are with his family and friends. Im sure hes in a good place now catching up with old friends and fishing away..... Kevin

captnorm
10-08-2008, 07:13 AM
May God rest his soul! I've never met him but have a VHS of his that helped me in my fly casting. Here's a YouTube video of Mel in Patagonia. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvRXM0bfezI

Norm

Bernard
10-09-2008, 10:29 PM
As of late I have been coaching anglers new to fly fishing more than I ever expected to and have found myself using many tricks and tips that Mel showed me through his videos. I met him ages ago when I was a kid but don't remember that very well. He will be missed.
B

mako
10-11-2008, 02:00 AM
Legend, r.i.p Mel..