PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Eagle Lake Advice

chemdoc
10-06-2008, 12:05 PM
I finished my Heritage Trout certificate this summer, with 6 of the 11 species native to California. I am hoping to follow in the venerated footsteps of Bob and Chris Laskodi now and at least get the remaining 4 that are not federally protected (paiute). I would like to catch an Eagle Lake rainbow this fall and am hoping to head up there in the next month. I have never been to Eagle and don't fish lakes very often, so was hoping for some advice from those of you that fish there regularly.

There are a few things I am curious about.

1. Is a boat required in the fall, or does shore fishing work with the lower water levels?

2. Are there particular areas around the lake that offer more likelihood of success? I promise not to steal your secret spots or give them away. I will be happy with just one fish to photograph and add to my collection.

3. What flies are best this time of year? I am thinking streamers, but wonder about color, size, style, etc.

4. What is the best line choice, sinking or floating?

Any advice would be most appreciated. Feel free to send me a PM if you prefer not to post your response. Thanks.

Phil

Grateful Trout
10-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Hey Chemdoc,

I too finished my Heritage Trout Challenge and am seeking my remaining three native fish to California. I still need the Eagle Lake Rainbow, the Steelhead, and the Lahontan. I've been to Heenan three times and am still working on a skunk. I am also planning to head to Eagle in the future. I am considering hiring a guide because the drive is so long and I need to improve my chances. If you are willing to go for a guide, perhaps we could share one and split the costs.

As far as going to Eagle on your own, I've read lots of stuff. Just do a search and you'll get all kinds of info. I just don't feel confident enough to try on my own the first time I go. There's a pretty decent link below.

When did you complete your challenge and turn in your paperwork? I finished in early July and am still waiting. I know last year, one guy finished in July and got his hats/certificate in December.

http://eaglelakefishing.info/report.html

Good Luck, Scott Lyons

chemdoc
10-06-2008, 08:42 PM
I tried to send you a pm Scott, but I keep getting that database error. As soon as it is fixed I will resend it.

Phil