PDA

View Full Version : A tale of woe on the Feather...missing rod and more!

schurmo
10-06-2008, 10:06 AM
So...I went to the Feather. I braved it alone and thought I could just spend a peaceful day casting at nothing, expecting nothing. It turned out to be the worst fishing day of my life! I was in the Oroville wildlife area looking for some pockets of water and found a couple nice ones. Spent a couple hours enjoying the quiet, the scenery and the sunshine. Found a really nice seam past the dam area and began fishing in an area where I saw rising fish. Didn't catch anything, so I noticed that the water is pretty shallow right where it comes together and falls over some rapids. So I decide to cross the river. I know...I am 155lbs and 5'10" with two small kids at home, I...AM...A MORON. I get almost all the way across using a makeshift wading staff. Things are going fine and I am almost to the bank when the water gets deeper. I trip, stumble, but somehow manage to scramble up too the side...whew. So I fish the seam, I see a couple chinooks and a sucker hanging out in the water. I hope I can catch something, and I catch my breathe. I decide to head back, but I am now stuck out on a stretch of land that has the river on one side and a slough on the other. I decide to brave the river again and this time get a bigger, fatter wading staff. I step into the deeper pocket and I am almost across, and all the boulders under my feet break loose and I am being carried down river. I am on my stomach...worst possible position...and my waders are starting to fill with water. I fall to my knees and kick off the bottom a couple times and I find myself on my knees in the shallows by the shore with lungs full of water, gasping for air. Wow. So I spent the next hour trying to figure out how I was going to get back because the river was really deep in this area, and I was kind of on an island. I finally go back to the beginning of the slough where it meets the river and find an area where it's about chest deep and the water has no current in it. I make it back to regular land...but am on the wrong side of the river from my car. I try and flag down a couple people and finally get a guy to give me a ride back to my car...one small problem...he was deaf. Very kind gentleman, but we could have no conversation without a pen and paper. He got me back to my car and I gave him a nice Leatherman for his troubles, said thank you and got in my car and decided it was time to call it a day. Got about 30 miles away and realized I left my fly rod in the back of his truck!! I have no idea who he was, he has no idea who I was and no way of getting me that rod back. So, my season is pretty much over after only going out once, because I can't afford a new rod right now. But, I walked away with my life, and the Lord's protection upon me. If anybody in that area is approached by a deaf man with a Orvis Clearwater rod and Battenkill Reel, that would be mine. Wow...what a weekend.

And a reminder to all, PLEASE WHERE YOUR WADING BELTS ALWAYS!!! If I didn't have mine on yesterday, I probably wouldn't be writing this. It's the most important thing to pack above all else. I am totally done crossing rivers unless it's 24 inches deep!

David Lee
10-06-2008, 10:23 AM
Funny how quickly one can get into a mess .... isn't it ??

If I had a dime for every stupid situation I survived , I'd have more gear !!

BTW - I'd be happy to loan you an 8 wt. and Pflueger for the rest of the year , if you need it (you'd have to come up w/ line and backing ....) .

David

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Wow.....sounds like we almost lost you?

All those river are dangerous, especially if you are alone.

Long time guide Fred Gordon said that it's pretty hard to drown in trout streams like the Upper Sac, McCloud or Pit Rivers at summer flows but valley rivers like the lower Sac, lower Feather and lower American can be very dangerous.

I like lower flows, studded shoes, wading belt and a staff.

I think a floatation devise might be a good idea too on all these bigger rivers.

Flycanoe
10-06-2008, 10:37 AM
Wow, I am really sorry to hear about your ordeal and lost fly rod, but glad you are OK. I would never try to wade across our lower valley rivers alone, the risk it just not worth.

FRSam
10-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Wow...as David said it's surprising how quickly something like this can happen. I think the best advice is using an auto inflate PFD. Once those waders fill you're in a world of hurt and the only thing a friend can do is notify the next of kin.

I'm glad to hear you made it out okay and hopefully your rod will turn up.

Pete

Dark Wader
10-06-2008, 12:33 PM
Man....
Wow...

590Mike
10-07-2008, 01:37 PM
I know how you felt just not quite as terrifying. My idea was one more cast and then one more and then tried to wade across the Yuba at dark, I didn't go under, but got swept downstream, only about 50 yards, but that was as scared as I ever want to be. Its amazing how clear the important things become once we calm down.

So the lesson learned is if I have to cross stream to get home I quit while there is still light or walk around.I wear a wading belt and a waist pack on a belt. Which always has a headlamp,matches and a couple protien bars in case I end up spending the night.The space isn't much more than a flybox and the Mrs. feels better.

I also have an agreement with my wife... I fish the Yuba,Feather or Lower Sac alone, the minute I get to the car I call.

Ok... so..... you got wet,lost an outfit and have a huge learning experience.If you want to get out for the half pounders on the American let me know I'm sure we (those nutcases you fish with as my wife puts it)can get you set up with a loaner rod and you need to get back in the water asap. Pm me and let me know. I'm back in town on Sat.

Ty@Landpark
10-07-2008, 03:37 PM
Sounds like one heck of an ordeal! You could probably sell your story to Reader's Digest...it sure grabbed my attention. Glad to see such a wonderful and carring membership on this msg board...especially with offers to loan you equipment. I wish I could, however, just starting out myself and only have one set-up. If your finances are really strapped...I'll help pitch-in to offset the cost for backing and line on one of the loaners if it doesn't have any. Just PM me and I'll arrange a contribution in your name @ Kiene's. Glad to hear a safe ending. Heed the advice of others that have posted a respone.

schurmo
10-08-2008, 03:38 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the kind responses and kind offers! I really appreciate it! I may hit some of you guys with pms down the road. After Sunday, I have decided I need to stick closer to home for most of the season. My youngest is 4.5 months old and after driving 3 hours to a river, it became obvious that it's not quite my time to start getting out again. If the rivers were an hour away, it would be another story. I will have to keep an eye out for some deals on fly outfits and just wait patiently for my turn to come. But, now is my time to keep the wife sane with two nutty boys at home. Thanks again for the kind words, and I am so happy to be alive. I will not be wading in any old river anymore, and take much greater precautions (although I was wearing studded boots). I would, in the future LOVE to have some fishing partners to show me the ropes. I have only been in Northern California since July and I got A LOT of learning to do. Take it easy guys, and thanks again!

dave earl
10-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Sorry you had to go through all of that. It sounds a lot like some of my adventures though.
I guess that's why they're called "adventures"
Thanks fer the reminder about the wading belt- I keep mine attached to it can't be forgotten
good luck man.

Adam Grace
10-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Wow. Glad to hear that you're okay.

Tracy Chimenti
10-11-2008, 10:29 PM
I did the same thing and was approached by a deaf man who gave me a ride back to the wildlife area. I was freezing my ass off in his pick-up and was so confused and confounded from trying to sign with him on the ride back to my car, that I LEFT MY ROD IN HIS TRUCK TOO! So if you come across a guy with the Clearwater rig and a Powell Rod with a Medalist, it's the luckiest deaf man in county. Please send him my regards.