PDA

View Full Version : The drought is over!!

Jeff C.
10-06-2008, 09:07 AM
After 8 weeks of fishing 3-4 times a week, I finally caught a couple of half-pounders on Friday just before the weather came in. No, it wasn't on the American which IMHO is still too warm. I had to drive North to another Valley river to find some water that was cool enough. Got an 18 incher on an egg pattern and a 15 incher on a PT. LDRed a 20+ inch fish on a Maholo fly about a rod lenght from me. I went back yesterday morning and only got a couple of grabs. Jeff C.

jlmelend
10-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Nice Job, Jeff! Any pictures? Any action on the Dirty Bird?

Scott V
10-06-2008, 09:50 AM
Good job Jeff, I knew you would finally find them. And I agree that the American is still too warm, that is why I have not gone out again. Hopefully when our weather drops that might help cool down the water a bit.

Charlie Gonzales
10-06-2008, 09:55 AM
Good for you Jeff. Glad to hear that your finding fish.

On the American look for them in the faster more oxygenated water and adjust your set up for the conditions.

Whats this I hear of you being a surf legend?

Jeff C.
10-06-2008, 12:17 PM
1. Sorry no pics I only had my cell phone and I got a couple of crappy pictures.

2. Although I've caught fish with Dirty Birds on that river they don't work as well as they do on the American. There were a few caddis but there were a lot more mayflies. Also with all the salmon swimming around you couldn't go wrong with eggs.

3. I've tried the faster, deeper, oxgenated water on the American with a Type 8 sink tip with no luck. All I've been catching have been pike minnows.

4. I used to be in all the surf mags on the 70's and a few surf movies when I used to live in San Diego. I was the first guy to stand-up on a Steve Lis Fish (they have made a retro resurgence and everyone is riding them again).

Jeff

Adam Grace
10-06-2008, 02:06 PM
Very cool Jeff!