PDA

View Full Version : Rain in Nor Cal tonight and Saturday

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Wow...this should really help us out.

Grateful Trout
10-03-2008, 03:03 PM
What kind of changes does the first storm of the season bring about as far as fishing conditions go? I'm usually a fair weather fisherman. I am interested in heading into the Sierra tomorrow morning. Does the first storm blow out the streams and rivers more so than any other storm later in the seaon? Would it be worth float tubing in the lakes if the wind is not too bad? I have plenty of cold weather gear as I heard snow could move down as low as 7000 feet by Saturday afternoon. I was thinking Silver or Red or possibly the East Carson. Would it be better on Sunday??? I know I can't expect answers to these questions, just looking to see if someone has lots more experience fishing during storms than I, and is willing to share their take on the matter. Thanks, GT

Darian
10-03-2008, 10:23 PM
GT,.... Not sure whether it makes any difference to the fish during a front of this nature. Air temp is probably more important. It may rain enough to color the water at altitude and on the west slope of the Sierra's, tho. Even with snow, it won't be so cold that some fish will be biting. You have to stick to it. i've caught fish at Indian Creek Reservoir when it was later in the year and snowing before. It's only raining/snowing on our side of the surface. :nod::nod:

Lakes may be better than rivers/streams. Smaller streams will color and clear more quickly than larger streams; which will stay clear and, once colored, will stay that way longer. :cool:

If the water is off color but still fishable try larger flies like Wooly Buggers or something similar. If clear enough, try small patterns (wet/dry).

Be very careful driving in the first rain storm. The roads are extra slippery and a lot of people do not drive safely under those conditions. If you go up towards Markleeville, you might want to take your camera. Out to be some beautiful scenery up there now.:cool:

Good luck. :D:D:D