PDA

View Full Version : Sierra report

Scott V
10-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Went with jburge "John" last night up to my normal stomping grounds to see if the fish are still willing to play. Big surprise they are willing to bite. Some of the fish were so excited that they were juming straight out of the water to hit the fly, I actually had one leap up and on to the side of a boulder to get my fly. It was the most incredible thing to see, the only bummer about that take was that when I brought in the fish it turned out to be a brookie. The last thing I wasnted to see in the SFA was a brookie, I hope they do not over populate the water and make all my beautiful rainbows start to disappear. My assumption is it came from Caples during the drain down, it is the first one I have seen in the SFA.

It appears that John is real new to fly fishing but is picking it up real quick, I had him casting to some real hard water, he was able to cast over fast water and hit the soft pools without having his line and fly being dragged away by the current. He did manage to get one to the hand and had a few more on the line but they all ldr'ed. Lots of rises and lots of fish leaping out of the water, I think he has found a new place to fish when he can get away. It was a pleasure to fish with you John.

ryeflyguy
10-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Hi Scott,

It could have come from Caples, but I have caught brookies over 10 years ago in some of the other higher elevation feeder streams of the SFA.

Mik
10-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Good stuff Scott! Do you usually get a good mix of browns in there to on the SFA?

Scott V
10-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Good stuff Scott! Do you usually get a good mix of browns in there to on the SFA?

I have caught one brown in my life and it was on the Silverfork just below Silver lake of hwy. 88. I am always looking for a creek or stream where I can get into browns, but they are hard for me to find.

ryeflyguy
10-02-2008, 04:11 PM
Browns are in there too but I've caught mostly rainbows.

Thanks for the report!

jburge
10-03-2008, 05:54 AM
Hey Scott it was a blast. I don't what there were more of -- laughs or LDR's. I've only been at this a month, but I'm soaking up everything I can. You can bet I'll be back up there to have some more fun. Thanks!

chemdoc
10-03-2008, 02:32 PM
I hadn't caught any browns on the Silver Fork yet this season, but last Sunday I caught four in addition to the more abundant rainbows. In fact, at the last spot I fished, I had to cast into a small pool over some faster water and pulled three in a row out of there. That was a fun way to end the day.

Phil

mike N
10-03-2008, 03:13 PM
I know of a feeder stream to the SFA that pretty much only has brookies. They can be caught from the mouth of the stream and up. The rainbows and browns are also on this stream in the first few hudred yards from where it intersects the SFA, but it is mostly brookies. Below the confluence I have only caught one or two brookies, and mostly catch browns and rainbows. Above the confluence I mostly catch browns and only a few rainbows.

I know of another feeder stream to the SFA that holds mostly browns. It is lower in elevation than the brookie stream. I haven't fished the confluence area, it is surrounded by quite a few cabins and doesn't look to appealing for fishing. This creek is heavy with alders and has a bunch of biting flies.

I know of another feeder to the SFA that has mostly rainbows. The area around the confluence has mostly rainbows and a few browns. The browns in this area tend to be good sized and more frequnently caught in the eveings than mid day. This stream is between the two mentioned above.

The various types of trout are all there, but brookies are not too common down where it sounds like you were fishing. At least I have never caught one down there.

Enjoy,

Mn

MN