PDA

View Full Version : Head cement do you really need it?

captnorm
09-26-2008, 11:51 AM
Hi everybody, hope all are healthy and happy!

I'm tying some very small nymphs and using a whip finish tool to finish them off. :?: :-k If I put on a whip finish followed by a whip finish, do I really need head cement?

Norm

oldtrout
09-26-2008, 11:57 AM
No, you don't need it. I often forego using it on flies I tie for myself.

Scott V
09-26-2008, 12:12 PM
I rarely use haed cement, I mostly use brush-on super glue or Hard As Nails.

Darian
09-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think the original question meant whether any adhesive is necessary, at all.... I agree with "oldtrout" that it isn't necessary when tying flies for non-toothy critters or if the fly won't be long lived.

"Captnorm", Some of the older texts on fly tying used to advocate the use of tacky tying wax to finish the head on all flies. It sounds like you really tie your heads down securely. So,.... No need for concern.

Having said that, I use Daves Flexament on all freshwater patterns and CA adhesive for gluing all materials to the hook and finish the head with epoxy and/or Sally Hansen's on all saltwater or flies intended for use on toothy critters. Most saltwater fish have teeth like razors or very abrasive mouth parts. It only takes a small nick in the tying thread to cause a fly to come unraveled.... 8) 8)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-26-2008, 08:44 PM
I know a few individual commercial fly tiers who don't use cement.

I think the most powerful and popular cement is Dave's Flexament from Umpqua.

I believe it is thinned 'Shoe Goo' or thinned 'Goop'.