PDA

View Full Version : Upper Truckee and Meiss Lake

jburge
09-25-2008, 09:45 AM
A question for anybody and everybody... I'm getting away from work tomorrow and am going to do an overnight backpack trip to the Upper Truckee and Meiss Lake area just north of Carson Pass. Has anybody ever fished there? Any fly recommendations for a novice? Thanks!

Ed Wahl
09-25-2008, 03:54 PM
You're calling it close but still some time. The Upper Truckee season closes on Sept. 30. Meiss Lake is closed to all fishing all year.

You'll have to be very sneaky this time of year for Upper Truckee Cutts. They can see you 20 feet away. If you can overcome that they'll take almost any dry you offer them. Winters coming and they know it, they'll be feeding on anything in a size 14 or 16. Look for deep spots, they'll be concentrated in them. If you can find a deep hole with bushes growing over the top you can just lower your fly through to the water without spooking the fish. Just listen for the splash when they grab. Ed

Sent you a pm.

windknot
09-25-2008, 03:57 PM
The Upper Truckee is great for beginners, as the cutts will readily rise for any half-decent dry fly presentation as long as you don't spook them first. If you want to fish a lake in the area, try Showers or Round. Round is a bit muddy and warm and I struck out during my only visit there, but it does have cutts and I've heard rumors of brookies as well.

Matt

jburge
09-25-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks guys, I'll definitely post a report with pix when I get back.

chemdoc
09-25-2008, 08:47 PM
I fished the Upper Truckee a few times in July and August and the fishing was very good. On my last trip on August 29, the water was quite low, so I imagine it will be way down by this point. The pictures I posted in early September were taken there.

Phil