PDA

View Full Version : AR 9/23 w/ crappy pic again

Jgoding
09-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Well, pounded my favorite run again today. Not much action getting there or at the run until the caddis started swarming/hatching about 7:20 or so. Broke off the first fish due to a bad blood knot.... Not sure how big but the fish just took off screaming on the get go. Finally got my leader reconstructed and tied on some flies.... Missed a good tap but probably a smolt and then I started working down the run... Pretty sure I saw this fish come up and swirl the cast before I hooked him. It was just shy of my first ferrule on my rod which sits at 22". Pretty much a bulldog fight with a few short runs into some current. A nice wild and clean fish. I got my phone out and using a flashlight for a "flash" took these pics and released it. It was too dark after that to see much of anything going on so I hoofed it out and hit the road just before 8pm.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/jgoding/sh2-2.jpg

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e336/jgoding/sh2.jpg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Pretty cool..............I guess we need to get out there?

Yes, you do need a small digital camera.

Blueracer
09-23-2008, 09:19 PM
That will make any trip, easily. Nice job Jeff.

Jgoding
09-23-2008, 09:23 PM
Ha ha, ur right Bill.... The wife just got a new I-phone so I'm guilting her a digital camera out of it... then again those I-phones take some nice pics too...LOL

Charlie Gonzales
09-24-2008, 06:07 AM
Wow, good for you Jeff. Im curious, where are you using a blood knot @.
In smaller sizes of mono and flouro the double or triple sourgeones knot is stronger(and faster) than a five turn blood knot.

Looking forward to fishing with you guys on the seventh.

Jeff C.
09-24-2008, 07:06 AM
Hey Jeff!

Good work! At least someone is catching them. I went out last night but left the water just before sunset. I only caught 5 pike minnow smolts and had one soild grab from a halfpounder on the swing. The water still felt way too warm (probably why there're so many pike minnows).

Jeff C.

Jgoding
09-24-2008, 07:40 AM
The water did seem slightly warmer yesterday but it felt cool enough to me. I did not see any working fish last night save for some smolts.

Still kind of disapointed in losing the first fish (and my fly) but that's how it goes sometimes. I wanted to take a picture of my fly before I went out as it was a new design but I didn't get home in time. I did take a good look at it to remember most of the details though. I've tied a series of new emergers using an amalgation of details from various patterns and they seem to be working well. 3/4 fish took the emerger pattern.

Charlie, when I put my leaders together I typically use a 0X butt from the fly line and build down from there. With these fish I'm going down to 4X. I always use a blood knot to join sections... just the way I was taught I guess. Usually the knot holds strong and I don't have any problems, but then again not usually fighting fish that run like these steelies... The blood knot just pulled apart somehow, even though I tested it pretty well and even UV knotsensed it. I tie my dropper to the long tag end of the 3X and that fly was still attached.