PDA

View Full Version : Ruckers Lake

Scott V
09-23-2008, 10:23 AM
Went with Eric on Saturday to see Ruckers for myself. Launched our 'toons around 8 or so and got into a couple fish. I got mine on top while Eric got a few subsurface.

I got this little guy I believe is a bluegill but has the mouth of a bass. Is it a hybrid of the two or am I seeing a type of bluegill I have not seen before.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/IMGP0916.jpg

Afterwards I took Eric up to the South Fork of the American near Alder Creek tract and got into some nice fish on dries in the late afternoon. Surprisingly better fish than the last time I fished there. Nothing sweeter than good size wild rainbows. Only bad part was I left my camera in the car.

erhetta
09-23-2008, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the topic Scott....

Ruckers was way turned off when we went. Nothing like the previous two trips where I landed more than I could count. Fishing was slow and fish were far between, but the beauty of that little lake is no less astounding. It is one of my favorite places now for just relaxing. I plan on a few campouts there next year. I would like to know exactly what kind of fish that is that Scott has in the pic. I have caught a ton of them and they are aggressive, fun, and thick....

The South Fork trip was amazing for me. I was one of those guys that would look down at that river and think that there is no way there could be catchable fish in it...Boy was I wrong....

I managed to catch my first ever native rainbow...I have never seen the purple in the sides as vividly as in this fish. I think I got two to the hand and lost 4 or 5 more to lack of experience. I plan on many a trip back up there to explore more. I did take two tumbles on the rocks as they are pretty tough for a big guy to navigate quickly, so in a way the lack of a camera saved me from some pretty embarrasing memories.

Hairstacker
09-23-2008, 11:23 AM
That is a green sunfish. It has the typical, relatively elongated shape and larger mouth compared to a bluegill, along with the orange-tipped fins on the bottom.

If you do a yahoo search of "green sunfish" images, you'll see a bunch of 'em.

It is possible that fish is a hybrid between, say, a green sunfish and a bluegill or other panfish, but it is most definitely not any kind of hybrid between a bluegill and a bass.