PDA

View Full Version : Airlines, Mexico and checked luggage??

bonneville54
09-23-2008, 05:43 AM
I'm fortunate enough to be leaving for my first trip to Campeche this Saturday and was wondering who might have some recent experience with luggage, carry-ons and so on.

The TSA site says that carrying on rods is OK, reels and hooks (flies?) a no-no. The rod does not fit in my carry on luggage, so I assume it will count as one of my two carry-on items.

I was hoping to avoid checking a bag, but will have some flies to bring, so perhaps rolling the dice with the baggage handlers is warranted. Idea's?

FWIW, I'm flying from SF to Houston on United, switching to Continental to fly to Merida...

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1188.shtm

Darian
09-23-2008, 06:30 AM
Luggage requirements vary, depending on the airlines you use. When traveling to Baja, each airline had requirements in addition to those of TSA. Be sure to check the websites of your airlines to find out if this is true for yours.

The only concerns I would have, for your items are the flies and lines, leaders, etc. This subject has come up often enough over on Blanton's BB and these two items were the most restricted, according to travelers....

Remember that each individual TSA inspector can interpret the rules as they see them. So, there's some inconsistencies involved. I use a large checked bag and only carry rods (with one, small briefcase) on to the aircraft and have not had a problem, yet. Be sure to get some travel insurance in case you have to dump anything....

Hope you have a good trip. :) :)

Terry Thomas
09-23-2008, 07:52 AM
Our group fished the Yucatan in July. We flew Continental and had no problems with reels or rods. Pack your flies and spare lines not on reels.
T.

john
09-23-2008, 11:45 AM
I get confused on these travel threads, mostly when someone says this or that airline didn't have a problem with a particular item(s). I've flown NW, Continental, Delta, US Air, and AA on out of the country fishing trips. Always with a 4 piece rod case, and usually with a carryon containing loaded reels and flies. Obviously TSA has scanned my carryon and rod case, but I don't recall any airline asking what was in the bag. Obviously they can see my rodcase. I guess my assumption is that whatever's in the bag is fine if I get past TSA. I am a bit more careful on return flights, and tend to put less equipment in the carryon. Am I wrong(lucky?) in this approach?

Darian
09-23-2008, 03:02 PM
John,.... You don't say where you fly out of but if you've been traveling without a problem and packing the way that you do, it doesn't sound like you're doing anything wrong. Consider yourself fortunate that you fly out of a destination that allows it. Other travelers at other airports who have posted their experiences on Blanton's BB had problems with lines on reels and flies in their carry-on luggage.

I've been traveling out of Sacramento and connecting to San Jose Del Cabo or La Paz, BCS thru Los Angeles and over the years there have been some minor changes. I just don't take any chance of having to pull something out of carry-on and trying to get it into checked luggage without missing my flight. Or, worse yet, having to ditch some valuable flies or lines. 8) 8)

john
09-24-2008, 06:00 AM
I fly out of Minneaplolis/St Paul, but every destination is a connection. After TSA in MSP, I've been through Philadelphia, Chicago, Atlanta, Orlando, Charlotte, Miami, Houstan and Phoenix. I do have to admit that with each "new" destination I've checked the flies, and put at least one rod/reel in the checked bag.

john
09-24-2008, 06:02 AM
I fly out of Minneaplolis/St Paul, but every destination is a connection. After TSA in MSP, I've been through Philadelphia, Chicago, Atlanta, Orlando, Charlotte, Miami, Houstan and Phoenix. TSA at 4 of the 5 on return. I do have to admit that with each "new" destination I've checked the flies, and put at least one rod/reel in the checked bag.

bubzilla
09-25-2008, 08:24 AM
TSA does advise carrying flies and reels "[e]xpensive reels or fragile tackle such as fly's should be packed in your carry-on baggage." I have carried rods, reels, and saltwater flies in my carry-on three times going to Baja this summer. Dozens of big flies, lines and backing on reels. No problems. I carry enough to be able to fish as soon as I arrive. On the way back, I check everything--both for ease of my return trip, and because getting through Mexican security is another ball game all together.

I have quite a bit of expensive gear, so to eliminate concerns regarding something happening to my gear on my return trip I purchased a personal property insruance policy. It covers everything for about $1.60 per $100 of coverage, e.g., $160 for a year's coverage on $10,000 worth of gear. Plus, it covers the gear the rest of the year as well. Now, I take whatever I want with me. I carry on enough gear to fish when I get there so that even if they lose my checked baggage I am okay, but I don't sweat what I check. If it makes it, awesome; if it doesn't, I can still fish. And, if it's gone forever, I have total peace of mind.

The biggest problem now isn't what can I get on or not, but how much stuff can I take without getting hosed on baggage fees. Going for 6 to 10 days of fishing requires some gear. So I have had to become more creative in terms of what I carry on in order to manage the size and number of my checked baggage.