PDA

View Full Version : Hawaii report

mems
09-19-2008, 08:43 AM
Aloha, we are now headed into the fall/winter pattern here in Hawaii. It was a good spring, lots of ono and large ones all season long. The ahi bite was pretty poor. Some lucky guys got a few big ones. I had some bad luck with them, and lost the big ones that hit. This was all on conventional gear.
For fly fishing it was a good summer and spring. Lots of bonefish and papio, small jacks. My clients had a good time and we caught pretty consistantly. I don't think any one got skunked fishing with me this season.
Offshore fly fishing was very good, lots of small ahi and some skipjack mixed in for good action. The highlight was some mahi that wanted to eat a fly. There have been some small marlin around lately, but I haven't gotten them to eat a fly yet.
Durnig the winter the ahi will drop off, but the mahi schools should increase. The seas will turn rough, so we will need to pick our days offshore. The weather has been nice lately, but the ocean temps are low. I am headed offshore this weekend, and hope to get another shot at the small marlin hanging around. Mems.

Darian
09-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Hi Don,.... Sounds like you've been having a good year. Lots of Ono (pronounced Oh No...!!! when you break one off :lol: :lol: ) Good luck this weekend. Be sure to post a photo of the Marlin....

How cold is the water over there compared to what it should be now.... :?: :?: :?:

mems
09-21-2008, 07:43 PM
Hi Darian, we had a beautiful sunny calm day today. We were the first ones to "G" bouy and I got a very small ahi that we used for live bait. A nice mahi got on it right away. We let it eat on a drop back, and set the hook. In short order we had a nice 30lb chicken in the fish box, and it looked like we were in for a great day. Alas, that was the only mahi we got to eat. We did see some others, but they were very shy and only chased a popper and a sea streamer. Funny how you can get one right away and then that is it! No marlin seen today. The big ahi are gone, it is really winter now, just with nice seas. Water temp was 83 degrees, the kona side was 79. Just very cold water for this time of year, strange. Oh well we will have some ceviche and some panko fried mahi for dinner tonight. Hope the fall is good to you, Mems.