PDA

View Full Version : Saturday at Lundborg's

Mike Churchill
09-14-2008, 07:51 PM
Well, the attendance was a bit lower this time (notably, Bill K. was at a tackle show instead of Lundborg's), but the dozen or so of us who hit turned out caught a few fish and had a good time.

The morning top water bite was slow--less than 1 bass per angler if I didn't miss talking to anyone--but things picked up a bit in the afternoon when we got into a big school of small stripers just outside the wall in Frank's tract. I think I led the dink parade with 10 in an hour and half, plus as many more that I LDR'd and even more light strikes that I whiffed on. However, Scott set some kind of record with a micro-sized LMB he caught off the docks. Paul, post the picture of that "monster" please.

Andan reported (with a witness) hooking and fighting (but not catching) a big LMB that hit a popper in the afternoon. When I stopped into the shop on Sunday to drop off a rod that suffered a sudden reduction in length while horizontal in the boat, I heard that Paul Egan caught an 8 pounder in the afternoon. Any truth to that, Paul?

Lundborg Landing is up for sale. Maybe that explains why there are multiple big holes in the wooden launch ramp. If you go there, check the ramp carefully before you back down, or you might drop a wheel a long way down.!

Given those conditions and the length of the drive from Sacto, we started discussing alternative locations for the next such event. Anyone know a place on the north or east side of the delta that offers a good campground and enough speed restricted water for the human and electric powered flotilla to fish comfortably?

Mike

Ed Wahl
09-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Mike, Scott's got your cooler. You can probably get it back up on the South Fork. Ed

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-15-2008, 06:51 AM
Wimpy's & New Hope Landing could be another location which is much closer to Sacramento?

Andy Guibord at the shop knows that area well.

paulegan81
09-15-2008, 10:57 AM
also we should check out Tiki Logoon<sp> any way i will post my report in the other post "Report"

Charlie Gonzales
09-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Hers my suggestion for up coming trips....

Oniel... very long drive, but mucho water fot the tubers and tooners

Collins Lake.. very nice camp ground, lots of water for the above, and multiple species, and you could bring the whole family

Sly Park.. pretty much the same as Collins

Garrett S
09-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Hers my suggestion for up coming trips....

Collins Lake.. very nice camp ground, lots of water for the above, and multiple species, and you could bring the whole family

I love collins, If you go in October all of the bass are busting shad, and there waterskiing season is over in october.

Ed Wahl
09-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the tips folks, keep 'em coming. I'll be doing some legwork to check out as many spots as I can.

Two highly respected flyfishermen have mentioned Collins so that will be checked out too. Gup, you don't even know what kind of jump you have on most of us. Keep it up dude, your opinion carries weight here.

I've fished at Sly Park with David Lee, it seemed to me that if you wanted to camp and launch a boat you had to take out a second on your house. How's the cost factor at Collins?

Charlie, I loved Oniel but that three hr drive just might be a bit much for most. I know it is for me, unless you're showing up with your boat. And an empty seat. Maybe some more duck sausage? :D Oooh, I could do that. Ed

Charlie Gonzales
09-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Ed, Oniell is pretty far, but if people make a weekend out of it, then it wouldnt be too bad.

Prices arent too bad at Collins, but nothing is cheap. Plus they have boats to rent.

Gup, you are ahead of your times, I know another guy who started out like you..... his name is Jeff Putnam :D
I look forward to meeting/fishing with you some time.

Mrs.Finsallaround
09-16-2008, 07:47 AM
Um, wasn't the point of the Lundborg fish/camp-outs to fish the delta? :-k

I'd have to say, I probably wouldn't be so inclined to go to some of these other areas that have been mentioned outside of it... :?

But, hey, that's just me. :-s

Hairstacker
09-16-2008, 10:44 AM
I'm thinking along the same lines as Robin (aka Mrs.Finsallaround) -- this Bugfest has always been, to date, about fishing the Delta and figuring out its ways. (Guide Kevin Doran even took us out on his boat in groups at the 1st one and gave us pointers on cover, approaches, tactics, flies, etc.) I'm thinking maybe it should remain so, since it is a unique draw that a lot of folks are curious about and we may lose participation if it were moved elsewhere. Along the same lines, several of the original organizers and past participants actually have their boats moored in the Delta.

Not saying it wouldn't be cool and fun to have fishouts at other locations, but this one has always (at least the 4 held thus far) been a Delta event. Just my $.02.

Of course, we could always put it up to a vote?

Scott V
09-16-2008, 11:48 AM
We should continue to have the delta trips, but it would be nice to get out on some other water also. Maybe some small lake fishing with float tubes and pontoons, and of course the Black Mini Pearl.

Hairstacker
09-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Egads Scott, "Mini Pearl"?!?

Suddenly my mind's eye image of Ed's suave pram has gone from this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/IMG2175.jpg

To this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/minnie_pearl.jpg

:? :lol:

Charlie Gonzales
09-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Sorry, just trying to be helpful and keeping mind places that sill give topwater bass potential, with lots of access for the tubers and tooners.

Fact is that there is very limited acces for these types trips on the delta; Im all ears for suggestions.

Phil Synhorst
09-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Wimpy's is a great spot, good "camp ground", and last I was there good restaurant and bar. But if memory serves, doesn't the Moke come through there with a pretty good current? If so, that would be difficult on those of us with electric or arm power.

Hairstacker
09-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Well, two other possibilities are Tower Park Marina and Turner Cut Marina. I'm not familiar with either but both seem to offer 5-mile/hour zones, launch ramps, restaurants, tent & RV camping with hookups, etc.

When I get a chance, I'll check out Turner Cut Marina, including fishing around it -- it is relatively close to Whiskey Slough and Mildred Tract, both of which are known to turn out some nice fish. . . .