PDA

View Full Version : Trinity and Klamath help

PatrickM
09-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Heading up to the Trinity for most of next week. Anyone out there have a recommendation for a decent camp ground somewhere on the lower river?
Also, I'll probably make a trip over to the Klamath at least one day. I've never fished the lower river, so if anyone could point me in the rough direction where I might get a few fish on the swing, I'd really appreciate it. Feel free to pm me.
Finally, if any of you guys are going to be up that way and want to hook up for a day, drop me a pm. I'll be swining flies only, can be reasonably funny at times, and only low-hole people I know really well. :twisted:
Thanks guys.

bigtj
09-09-2008, 08:01 PM
You could stay at Tish Tang buy I have heard that area can be prone to crime. A better bet might be Kimtu, right in Willow Creek.

Not a lot of fish over the weir yet, and it's hot and smoky, from what I hear. You might want to wait for the next cold front to push through and drop some rain, to bring in fish and put out the fires.

If you want to learn some good places to fish, you might want to book a trip with Jason Hartwick. Will set you back a few bucks, but you'll learn more in one day than you would in two weeks fishing on your own.

That being said, I'm not gonna spill any beans, but I will say that over the next 4-6 weeks until the first big rains come, focus on moderate (walking) speed water between 3 and 8 feet deep between Willow Creek and the North Fork. If the water is over 8 feet deep, or really smoking fast or really slow, you are aren't fishing the right water. I'll also say there aren't many likely-looking places that I haven't hooked fish in, when the fish are in - that is, you shouldn't have trouble finding a fish or two, if they are around.

Have fun,

-John

PS feel free to PM me with general questions on flies and tactics but like I said no bean-spilling on specific spots.

PatrickM
09-10-2008, 10:43 AM
No bean spilling expected.
Thanks for the info, John.

Rick J
09-10-2008, 11:30 AM
For the Klamath if you drive to Witchepec, there is a road that goes downstream to Johnson's as well as Highway 96 continuing up along the Klamath. I would fish somewhere between Orleans upstream and Johnson's Bar downstream and you should find plenty of swing water.

Need to be careful regarding private property and access and think twice about leaving your vehicle untended too far from you ( I would not have anything visible that could entice a break-in)

stevie steelhead
09-12-2008, 05:42 AM
I have lived on the Klamath-trinity river system for 25 years, and before yesterday, I have not had any problems with my vehicles left on the river bar for a boat trip. However, that ended when I returned to my truck, and found my front driver's window bashed in with a rock. I never leave anything in my truck, so I did not lose anything except the cost of the window replacement. The word on the river, is that the methamphetamine is making people just meaner. Do not leave anything valuable in your vehicle, and try to park on the road, or be close to your vehicle at all times.

bigtj
09-12-2008, 07:13 AM
About 12years ago John Klar, a guide in Eureka, has his Toyota 4-runner stolen from a turnout on the Trinity by some locals from Hoopa. I seem to remember they hot-wired the vehicle, joy-rided it for about 4 hours, busted out the suspension, and rolled it, and then set it on fire, if I remember correctly. My memory may be faulty on the exact details, but for sure it was a total loss.

In addition to leaving nothing in my vehicle, I have a transmission lock to deter theft. This keeps a potential thief from being able to put the car in gear even if they hotwire it. Having a window smashed would suck, but to suffer what happened to John is always in the back of my mind.

slim
09-18-2008, 02:28 PM
Damn, that sucks StevieS
Was curious if you could say which section of the river this happened on??
Slim

wjorg
09-19-2008, 04:00 PM
...dont worry, the methheads will weed themselves out of the gene pool in a few years hopeflully. Until then I wish we could lay out land mines with little baggies on them to get the stupid wizzbang crankers...

jbird
09-19-2008, 04:25 PM
If and when the meth tweakers weed themselves out, they will be followed by another generation of tweakers. Its just in our nature. I think the days of break ins and senseless crime are nothing compared to what we will see in the future. Maybe the near future considering the health of our economy.

J

stevie steelhead
09-20-2008, 08:16 PM
The breakheads are now anywhere from Wpec down to Johnsons all along hwy169. Even teh locals won't leave any vehicle unattended, they won't even leave ther homes unattended!
They had a real western style gun shoot-out up by Orleans last year when some tweekers tried to steal a truck, and it got ugly. What a shame that there is so much craziness in the midst of all the beauty.
Be carefull, I would advise leaving your car unlocked, or better yet, figure out a shuttle and get picked up. :idea: