PDA

View Full Version : Mitch's bobbin whirler

oldtrout
09-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Anyone know who sells this gizmo?

http://www.flytyingtools.com/webpages/tools/bobbin_whiler_mitchs.html

Ed Wahl
09-08-2008, 02:51 PM
What does that thing do? Trim your nose hairs and floss your teeth at the same time?

FlyFlogger
09-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Maybe a bobbin and whip finisher in one :?:

Adam Grace
09-08-2008, 08:04 PM
It looks like a dubbing loop tool built into the bobbin !?! :?

Ed Wahl
09-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Adam, I think you're probably right, but c'mon, that's not very funny. Have a drink and try again. :lol:
If you put fine enough thread in it you could not only lasso the fleas on your dog but also hog tie them.

It could be a fish release device, you simply wind thread around the fish's tongue, tie it with the convenient wire attachment, and you have all day to fiddle around with the hook.

Ever have problems with annoying pigeons roosting on your eaves? With this device you simply reach up, make 5 wraps around the offending birds legs, make a half hitch with the attached looped wire and carry the bird off to a more friendly location.

I've got more, but I've got to go to bed. Feel free to expand on this wondrous device. Ed

oldtrout
09-10-2008, 06:39 AM
I posted the same request on another board and received some actual help. Thanks guys.

Scott V
09-10-2008, 07:26 AM
I posted the same request on another board and received some actual help. Thanks guys.

I just looked at your post for the first time and was able to find what you are looking for by serching for the product in less than 1 minute. Maybe instead of being sarcastic you shold have googled and found what you wanted. But here is what I found "http://www.flytyingtools.com/webpages/tools/bobbin_whiler_mitchs.html"

And if people didn't post anything because they couldn't find it, your post would have been at the bottom and I would have never looked at it.

Oh yeah, welcome to the board sorry if we are a bunch of characters that like to joke around.

oldtrout
09-10-2008, 07:53 AM
Scott,

After calling several fly shops listed as dealers on the Wasatch website, including Kiene's, I posted a sincere question asking for help.

I enjoy jokes as much as the next guy; but, in my opinion the "joke" posts were lame at best and not the least bit funny. Perhaps if I were "impaired" when reading them I'd have had a different opinion.

I did not intend my follow-up post to be taken as sarcasm, but as the honest response to what transpired it was meant to be.

Please forgive me for not being as internet savvy as you.

Thanks for the welcome!
Don

Edit: I just received a call from the Dean Childs at Wasatch. Now that's great customer service.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-10-2008, 08:53 AM
Hi oldtrout

Sorry, I have been very busy trying to get an online store running so I did not see your post till now.

I called my supplier and they have them in stock now.

Give me your mailing address and I will send you one to test for us.

oldtrout
09-10-2008, 09:10 AM
Bill,

Thank you for the offer, but I have already placed an order with another fly shop.

I'm sure you don't remember, but several years ago I had to take an unexpected business trip to the state of Washington and needed a travel-friendly rod ASAP. I called you and the next day a four piece Sage SLT and a Ross Evolution loaded with a Sage Quite Taper II was delivered in time to make my flight. I must say the outfit is excellent, even for a bamboo guy like me.

Your customer service was outstanding and my boring business trip became a Cutthroat adventure I fondly remember.

Sincere regards,
Don

Jgoding
09-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Hey Don,

You can to www.flytyingforum.com to see a video demonstration of the bobbin in use. It's pretty handy if you like using a dubbing loop. I also have a hard time tying with regular bobbins anyways since I use an automatic bobbin now so I can't really give you an opinion of the product as I never considered getting one.

Jeff

oldtrout
09-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Thank you Jeff. I'll report my experience after tying a few dozen double magic type flies.

Ed Wahl
09-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Good going oldtrout. Just so you know, sarcasm is always welcome here. In the future though, you might want to imbibe a little first, it seems to help. Which subspecies of Cutthroat did you get onto in Washington? Ed

oldtrout
09-11-2008, 07:48 AM
Which subspecies of Cutthroat did you get onto in Washington? Ed

Oncorhynchus clarkii lewisi

PS I had no problem with this thread or with your posts until your buddy Scott, whom I've never had any interaction with, jumped on with his "I just looked at your post for the first time and was able to find what you are looking for by serching [sic] for the product in less than 1 minute. Maybe instead of being sarcastic you shold [sic] have googled and found what you wanted" jibe.

Maybe I tried my best to find this item before posting. Do you think Scott ever gave me the consideration that this might be the case? Of course it's no big deal, but certainly this was not a nice first encounter for me on this board.

I have no idea what you expect from folks who post here, but I can adapt.

Adam Grace
09-11-2008, 11:47 AM
Oldtrout did you see my post?

oldtrout
09-11-2008, 01:11 PM
Oldtrout did you see my post?

Yes, and you guessed correctly. I think it could replace the bobbin and dubbing loop tools in my travel tying bag, perhaps the whip finish tool too. I often tie on my fishing trips to match whatever's on the water (or at least attempt to match), so a good multitasking tool would be quite useful as well as space saving. When I go fishing/camping the car is packed to the gills.

Ed Wahl
09-11-2008, 04:43 PM
Ah the Westslope. I received a book on the Cutthroats a few months ago, now I feel a quest beginning to stir.
I've got Henshawi, Seleniris, and Pleuriticus. Clarkii's next, then it's time to start out of state trips to round them all up.
It won't be quick, but it will be fun. Ed

oldtrout
09-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Ed, I recommend this book.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v12/oldtrout/Trotter.jpg

Ed Wahl
09-11-2008, 05:23 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's the one I've got. Most would be bored to tears with it, but I read it all the way through and still keep re-reading chapters.

Last time a book lit me up like this was over twenty? years ago. Ralph Cutter's Sierra Trout Guide. Made a high country junkie out of me. Ed

garypullings
10-15-2008, 10:13 PM
I think this bobbin would rock. it looks easy to use vs. the other types that are out there.

mike N
10-15-2008, 10:39 PM
Hey OT,

I saw this post a while ago and did't really look at too closely. I perfer to stay old school if possible. But.......

That tool looks pretty cool for doing a particular function on some flies I tie. Specifically wrapping ostrich hearl arond a thread. I envision a few other things to use it for as well. I am not sure what you plan to use it for, but I do see a niche.

It would be a benefit for my application(s) provided I could make the hearl (or whatever else I would use) stick in the V of that hook. I am surprised thay don't have a teaser video on the web site. Maybe they do, but I only looked at it for a minute or two.

I smell a stocking stuffer.

MN

oldtrout
11-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Hi Mike!

The tool came with an instructional DVD that shows how to easily make a herl rope and a lot of other applications. I've only played with it a couple of times. It's a fun tool to use and, in your hands, could work some real magic. In my hands, however, it's just a very good tool - no magic yet.

You know, you never got back to me on that spinning rod & reel that I offered to donate to you for the neighborhood delinquents you were helping. Just as well, a friend saw that post and begged me for the gear. He's still hasn't picked it up though.

Jet
11-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Try looking here or surf the web. I'm still old school and sticking with it.

http://hatches.tv/play.php?vid=296

Jet

bobbin whirler guy
11-20-2008, 02:09 AM
If you can't find a dealer in your area that stocks the Bobbin Whirler you can purchase one at www.flytyingtool.net. You can also view the entire instructional dvd and see an article written by Al Beatty at www.hatchesmagazine.com. I know the tool looks strange at first but when I first started showing it to tyers they would commonly fire off an involuntary cuss word and then ask if they were available for sale yet. I have tied hundreds of dozens of flies with the Bobbin Whirler in the three years since I first came up with it. It is a real work horse tool, not just a gadget, and I am still finding new ways to tie with it. Thanks for the interest in the tool. Hope this helps.
Mitch

oldtrout
11-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Mitch,

Your invention is one of those rare items that causes (in me) a love-hate relationship. I love it because it's just a great tool, but hate it because I didn't think of it. Doh!

Thanks for sharing your inspiration with the rest of us. Is there anything else in the works?

mike N
11-20-2008, 01:56 PM
OT,

I remember that thread about the neighborhood kids and fishing the cannal or some place like that. I think that was Troutnut, not me. I would have remembered trying to straighten out a few misguided youths, but I haven't done that since last baseball season. :-) Glad to hear to tool works for you. I have it on a list of stocking stuffers for Santa to get me.

MN

FlyReelFisher
03-23-2011, 04:52 PM
I was looking for something else and found this old post...

I had to say I use the bobbin, and its great. Less wasted motion. And you cam do some pretty neat things with it tying wise. Its not a gimmick.

Darian
03-23-2011, 10:55 PM
I must be getting old. I believe the original question was about who sells the bobbin and the link provided was to the page at Wasatch that indicates it can be purchased from Wasatch.... I guess I'm missing something.... :confused: The humor was good tho. :D

oldtrout
03-24-2011, 07:18 PM
" The humor was good tho. "

I beg to differ, but I'll play.

A blind man enters a lesbian bar.
Being blind he does not know the type of bar he has entered nor can he see the leers, odd looks, and stink eyes brought on by his presence.

He finds his way to a bar stool and orders a drink.
After sitting there for a while, he yells to the bartender, "Hey, you want to hear a blonde joke?"

The bar immediately falls absolutely quiet.

In a very deep, husky voice, the woman next to him says, "Before you tell that joke, sir, you should know five things:

1 - The bartender is a blonde girl.

2 - The bouncer is a blonde gal.

3 - I'm a 6-foot tall, 200-pound blonde woman with a black belt in karate.

4 - The woman sitting next to me is blonde and is a professional weight lifter.

5 - The lady to your right is a blonde and is a professional wrestler.

Now think about it seriously, Mister. Do you still want to tell that joke?"

The blind man thinks for a second, shakes his head, and declares, "Nah, not if I'm going have to explain it five times."

Darian
03-24-2011, 09:05 PM
Yep!!! That was funny. O:) Back to the question.... Were you able to buy the whizz bang bobbin :question: If so, where and how do you like it :question:

Hairstacker
03-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Now that was funny! :lol:

oldtrout
03-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Yep!!! That was funny. O:) Back to the question.... Were you able to buy the whizz bang bobbin :question: If so, where and how do you like it :question:

Yes Darian, I was able to purchase the bobbin in September of 2008 from Dean Childs at Wasatch Fly Tying Tools. I prefer the "whizz bang bobbin" for tying herl body flies above all others.

Nice appellative Darian! I'm calling the bobbin "the whizz bang" from now on.

FlyReelFisher
03-25-2011, 08:12 AM
I bought it from Mitch, at Two Rivers Fly Shop in Albany, OR. Great product, again.

He was fighting of the feather girls from the bay area on the phone while I was there....funny.

P.s....he has a really good tying selection.