PDA

View Full Version : Yuba 9/7

vaughn
09-08-2008, 10:59 AM
Fished Sycamore yesterday afternoon and had the river to myself- sweet. Got there around 5:30pm and stayed until dusk. First cast resulted in a beautiful 16" fish that spent more time in the air than water. Olive Fox Poopah under an indicator was the ticket. Hooked a second big fish- real big. For 10min I gave the 5x all the pressure I dared until the fly pulled out. Never got a good look at it, but probably a steelhead. There was a light Caddis hatch but very few fish showing. Managed to only hook only 1 fsh on top, as well as a squaw fish that hit the Caddis like a champ, jumped several times, and completely fooled me until the end. Oh well- nice way to end the evening. I did see one lone salmon as well.
I was disappointed at the amount of trash in this area. Piles of beer cans and bottles everywhere. Next time I'll definitely bring a trash bag along.
Vaughn

DonCooksey
09-08-2008, 07:51 PM
Sounds like a great evening. Were you floating, or can you wade in that area? I caught a 28" squawfish on the Yuba once that put up quite a fight (downstream from there, around Hallwood, while trying for shad in the late evening).

Michael Baker
09-08-2008, 08:33 PM
What are they charging now to fish that area? Used to have a membership there before they sold out. Not happy about how that came about. Haven't fished there since.

Mike

dryflychico
09-09-2008, 09:11 AM
If I remember correctly from last year they are charging $5 a day. I don't know about past issues but they were cool with me on the phone, as no one was going to be on the gate when I showed up in the evening and they let me enter and pay on the honor system :) .

dryflychico (aka Josh)

vaughn
09-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Dryfly... Sycamore charges $15 per vehicle now.

amoeba
09-09-2008, 05:21 PM
well gee wilickers:

I was at hammon grove and walked down to sycamore and didn't see a soul; wonder where you were. And nobody parked anywhere; saw one fisherman walking towards sycamore from hammon on my way back to car - maybe that was you. In any case, I didn't see any hatch, or rises, on the river, and didn't catch anything. No bugs, low flow, nada, nada, and nada. I did bogey the two par fives earlier in the day at sutter buttes (not faint praise, #16 is 630 yards, the other - #9 has signif lake hazrds), so it was a good day.

What I did see, however, was a suspicious-looking channel change that brings most of the river very close to sycamore. Suspicious meaning that this is not the way I remember it, and there hasn't been jack in terms of flows the last two years that could have caused this. Which made me wonder, is there some big flood event I missed; or did anyone from sycamore or associated with it got in there at low water and dredged something out so as to benefit their business? I will ask around about what happened out there. Not ruling anything out.

dryflychico
09-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Ouch, $15 :shock: . That's a little steep just to park for a few hours :( . Especially with so many other options not that far away, especially if you have a 4x4 or at least something you can take on the dirt.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-10-2008, 10:51 PM
http://www.sycamoreranchrvpark.com/index.htm

One plus would be the fact that your car probably would not get broken into at Sycamore?

amoeba
09-14-2008, 10:37 AM
According to my sources, the avulsion of the river to the right bank that I mentioned, occurred naturally - and quickly (in hours) during a large flow new years day about a year and a half ago.