PDA

View Full Version : Jack Gartsides monthly eNewsletter

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-05-2008, 07:26 AM
Jack is one of the most dedicated fly fishers that has ever lived. I was lucky to have met him in Montana once and had a great conversation with him. He fishes stripers wading in the Boston harbor.

__________________________________________________ ________

Jack Gartside's Flyfishing Newsletter for (insert month/season, year)
Greetings and Salutations

If you were wondering why you didn't receive an August newsletter, wonder no more. There wasn't one. I was simply too busy: filling orders, fishing, conducting classes, traveling, writing, photographing, and doing research for a new book. At the end of each day, despite my best intentions to write up a newsletter, I was simply too tired to do anything more than flop into bed and dream about the day to come.

Some of my regular newsletter readers may recall that back in May I began to re-read my old fishing diaries, some going back to 1958, and to re-visit some of the streams and ponds and lakes that I knew and loved so well when I was young. Well, these nostalgic visitations became a bit of an obsession with me. And a revelation as well.

Fifty years is a long time and in that time many changes naturally occur, some for the worse, some for the better , some hardly noticeable. And so it was with some of the places I re-visited fifty years or so later. I found out, for example,that Fish Brook in Topsfield, one of my favorite small streams in 1958, is now only a shadowy trickle of its former self, all silted in and brush-grown and really unfishable over much of its rather short length. Same with Stony Brook in Weston, which I revisited just the other day. I almost couldn't find it, it was so overgrown with brush in the stretches I used to fish and its water volume seemed to be about half what it was then, just a trickle; the meadow stretch where on June 5, 1959 I caught a beautiful rainbow trout on a Queen of the Waters wet fly now abuts a subdivision.

On a more positive note, Crystal Lake, a small pond really, in West Peabody, MA, changed hardly at all. Except for the fact that a shopping center sits now just across the road where there once were fields, the pond itself was much as I remembe! red it, with the same familiar trails, the same large down-fallen tree on its eastern shore where I once hooked into a large bass, the same trees lining the shore where I used to snag a lot of back-cast flies. But the fishing was not the same; it was better--with more and larger bass than I had ever caught as a teenager. Same with Putnamville Reservoir in Danvers. And with Baldpate Pond in Boxford. They were all much as I remembered them. All great places to fish.

Some would say that it's a bit foolhardy to re-visit the past, perhaps a sign of senility, but I've been finding it rather intoxicating, energizing really. While changes do take place, and there are the inevitable disappointments, there are also many pleasant surprises. Chief among these surprises is that in many instances I found myself actually feeling like the kid I once was; the years and all the intervening experiences seemed to disappear from my consciousness; I felt only the pure excitement and enthusiasm of youthful adventure. At times, too, lingering and reflexive thoughts and feelings would appear, uncalled for and at times disquieting . I remember actually thinking one time as I was fishing that I'd better make this my last cast or I'd be late home for supper and ma would be mad. And then I remembered that my mother had been dead for thirty years or more and if I wanted to I could fish for as long as I wanted. Another time, while walking along a familiar trail through the woods, I felt absolutely sure that a fishing buddy from fifty years ago would jump out from behind a tree and try to scare me and I paused for a few seconds before passing that tree--just in case. These are just a few examples that come to mind; there are so many more. Re-visiting the past can be an absolutely delicious, invigorating--and informing--experience and I recommend it wholeheartedly--not as a sop to senility but, approached creatively, as an antidote to aging.

While looking to the past can be educational, reju! venating , and emotionally rewarding, it does have its limitations, chief among them is that it's already happened; it is the past after all. Nothing we can do will change it; we can only learn to live with it and savor it for what it was. Having done this, it's time to move forward.

And moving forward is what I've been doing for much of the past five or six months. In addition to fishing the old remembered places I've been seeking out places I've never fished before. With the help of a street atlas of eastern Massachusetts, I began to look up other bodies of water--both fresh and salt water-- in the vicinity of the already known places and set out to fish these lakes or ponds or rivers or stretches of shoreline that I had never before given much thought to. Along the way I found some real gems as well as some genuine duds but it didn't matter on the whole because at the end of the day I went to bed feeling as if I'd learned something. And what a wonderful feeling it was, too. I could actually feel myself growing. Every day promised a new adventure, a day full of exploration, discovery, and new experiences, a day full of optimism and hope. You couldn't ask much more from a day than this. Not only that but it presented me with many opportunities for deepening my fishing experiences, balancing both fresh water and salt in a way that I'd neglected for some years now, especially on local or nearby waters.

It became addictive, really. I couldn't stop myself from picking up the atlas each morning over coffee, turning to a particular town map, and wondering about the waters I'd never fished or thinking about the many mysterious and intriguing place names I'd find. Was Doleful Pond really a sad and forlorn bog? What was satanic about Devil's Dishfull? Or heart-breaking about Breakheart Reservation? Only one thing to do--go and find out for myself. And so I did. Over time, though, I began to be a bit more methodical in my explorations--what with gas prices the way they are--! and decided to simply pick a town within, say, a twenty-or thirty-mile radius of my home in Winthrop, and try to fish all the fishable water within that town and find out for myself what the local waters had to offer. At the end of the day, I would sit down and enter my findings and observations in my fishing log, as I've done ever since I was a kid.

In a matter of months I had visited dozens of towns, fished innumerable ponds, lakes, rivers and miles of shoreline and had compiled quite a compendium of nearby fishing opportunities for trout, bass, pickerel, stripers, and just about any other fish that anglers target. At some point I began to think that I should put my experiences and observations into a book--and that's just what I've been doing. I don't know when I'll finish it--there's a wealth of water out there-- but I've made a strong start. I'll let you know more as time goes on. A working title is Gartside's Guide to Flyfishing Greater Boston. Subtitled: Flyfishing Adventures in Your Own Back Yard.

I've rambled on long enough. Now to some announcements:

Here's the Striper Strategies Class schedule for September:

September, 2008

Saturday September 13 1.30 pm-6.30 pm Winthrop/Revere area

Sunday September 14 1.30 pm-6.30 pm Winthrop/Revere area

Saturday September 20 7 am-12 pm Winthrop/Revere area

Sunday September 21 7.30 am-12.30 pm &nbs! p; Winthrop/Revere area

Saturday September 26 1.30 pm-6 pm Winthrop/Revere area

Sunday September 27 1.30 pm-6 pm Winthrop/Revere area

Lessons in Successful Striper Strategies--Learn to fish like a predator!

Lessons will focus on how to consistently find fish; when and where to fish with the most consistent results; understanding tides, currents, and structure and using them to your advantage; finding the food that stripers feed on and understanding the feeding habits of stripers throughout the season; choosing--and using--the right fly; varieties of effective retrieves, as well as many other practical and unusual tips for successful striper fishing. Apart from all these useful things, one thing you can be sure of also is that we'll have a lot of fun--and maybe even an adventure or two. Participants should be able to cast a fly at least 40 feet, have some basic knowledge of equipment and terminology and be comfortable in various wading situations.Although classes are held on the shore and on the water at a time when fish should be rather plentiful, these are NOT to be considered guided fishing outings as such but rather instructional sessions geared to help the angler become more regularly successful as a striper fisherman.

Please Note: a minimum of two anglers is required to hold a class. If only one person has signed up for a particular date by three days before the class date, then he or she will be notified that the class will be cancelled (and the deposit refunded) or rescheduled or be given the option to take a private class for $300.00.

The cost per session will be $150.00 per person and will be limited to four anglers per session. ! $50.00 deposit required for registration. The particular locations of the classes will be largely dependent on the weather at the time and the condition of the water. I'll send directions and other particulars to the registrants as soon as I receive a deposit. Please send the deposit check to Jack Gartside 14 Beach Road, Winthrop, MA 02152

Note: these are all weekend dates. If enough people are interested I'd be happy to set up a mid-week class.

Here are some flies recently added to the website that you might want to check out.

Fresh Water Flies Newly Added

http://www.jackgartside.com/flies_fresh_list.php

In "Streamers" section:Bearded Corsair Minnows; FishFinder Streamer--this fly is a real "killer" for all species and I recommend it highly.

In "Gurglers & Sliders" section: Panfish and Bass Gurglers

Salt Water Flies

http://www.jackgartside.com/flies_salt_list.php

In "Northeast Gamefish" section: Bearded Corsair Minnows

In "Surface Flies" section: Flatwing Herring Gurgler, Flatwing Herring Slider, Medium Flatwing Striper Gurgler, Large Flatwing Striper Gurgler, Snook Gurgler, Bearded Floating Minnows

In "Tarpon, Snook & Redfish" section: Flatwing Mullet Streamer, Snook Minnow

Some Recommended Selections for Fall Fishing

Boston Harbor/New England Selection #2

This saltwater fly selection also contains five of my favorite fly patterns for fishing in Boston Harbor and throughout New England and features flies chosen with the somewhat advanced or more adventurous angler in mind or for those who would like to broaden th! eir choi ces of flies offered in Selection 1.

Each selection contains: 1 Gartside FishHead Bucktail, 1 Soft Hackle Flatwing Streamer, 1 BeastMaster General, 1 Bucktail Beauty, and 1 original-style Gartside Gurgler (or Slider, if you prefer).

Price: $30.00 plus S&H

Fall Striper Fly Selections

These selections each contain five of my favorite original fly patterns for fall fishing. At present I've prepared only a few of these selections so if you'd like one, please order early. I may not have much time to prepare many more.

Fall Striper Selection 1

Includes 2 Gartside Gurglers ( #1/0, #2), 1 White Soft Hackle Streamer,
1 Baby Bunker Soft Hackle Streamer, and 1 White Beastmaster (with
a hint of blue topping). All flies are "killers" on stripers, blues, albies,
and bonito.

Price: $25.00 plus S&H

Fall Striper Selection 2

Includes one of my very favorite patterns, the White or Blue/White BeastMaster General, a fly that for the experienced and imaginative angler does just about anything you'd want a fly to do.* Selection also includes an original Gartside Flatwing Gurgler for fishing the surface, a Baby Bunker Soft Hackle Streamer, a Chartreuse/White New Wave Soft Hackle Deceiver and a fast-sinking Chartreuse/White Gartside FishHead Streamer.

* With a deer-hair head and marabou hackling, the BMG is designed to float or sink slowly and then to "hover" just below the surface or wherever you want it to in the water column, wherever the fish are holding or taking flies best. May also be skittered or allowed to sink a bit and to push water as it moves partly on top and partly just under the surface. For deep-fishing simply add a couple of BB split shot to your leader. ! The deer hair head also sends out vibrations wherever fished, attracting fish from a greater distance and calling out to them: "Come and get me!" Truly a "killer" when fished imaginatively. This past week a friend of mine, who's not an especially skillful angler, took over a hundred stripers on one fly alone. Talk about durability! And effectiveness! I might add here, that's it's a terrific fly for small and largemouth bass.

Price: $28.00 plus S&H

Individual flies: Beast-Master General (1/0, longshank) $8.00 each

BeastMaster Streamer (1/0, longshank) $6.00 each

Flatwing Gurgler (1/0, longshank) $7.00 each

Fall Gurgler Mania Selection

This selection contains a variety of Gurglers in various sizes, shapes,
and colors. Fish these for stripers, bass, salmon, steelhead, tarpon,
snook, redfish, or just about any other fish that will take a topwater
commotion fly.

Each selection contains five fish-catching Gartside Gurglers, including 2

Original Gartside Gurglers, 1 very slender Sand Eel Gurgler,1 Soft Hackle
Baby Bunker Gurgler, and 1 super-effective Flatwing Striper Gurgler.

Price per selection: $ 25.00 S&H

Mart ha's Vineyard Selection 2

This selection builds upon and expands the range of effective flies
offered in Selection 1 (see www.jackgartside.com).An excellent all-around
selection of flies for fishing Martha's Vineyard throughout the season but especially in the fall.

Selection of five flies includes: 1 small White Gartside Gurgler, 1 White/Olive

Depth-Charger Soft Hackle Deceiver, 1 Chartreuse or White/Chartreuse

Depth-Charger Soft Hackle Streamer, 1 Secret Baby Baitfish Bonito/Albie

Fly, and 1 Gartside Corsair Sand Eel.

Price: $25.00 plus S&H

Cape Cod & the Islands Selection 2

This selection builds upon and expands the range of effective flies offered in Selection 1. An excellent all-around selection of flies for fishing Cape Cod and the Islands throughout the season.

Each selection of five flies includes: 1 Gartside New Wave Soft Hackle Streamer, 1 Chartreuse or Chartreuse/White Depth-Charger Soft Hackle Deceiver, 1 White Gartside Gurgler, 1 Gartside Corsair Sand Eel, and 1 Chartreuse/White BeastMaster.

Price: $24.00 plus S&H

Books by Jack Gartside

The Flyfisherman's Guide to Boston Harbor $29.95 plus S&H
Fly Patterns for the Adventurous Tyer (fresh water flies) $24.95 plus S&H
Original Salt Water Fly Patterns $24.95 plus S&H
Scratching the Surface $10.00 plus S&H

Until the next newsletter, Happy Fishing !

Jack

PS If you know of anyone who used to receive my newsletter but now doesn't, please ask him or her to sign up for it on the website or email me and I'll put! them ba ck on the list myself. Also, if you know of anyone who would like to receive this newsletter, please feel free to forward it along.

Note to Club Members and Program Chairmen:

If you're interested in hiring me to put on a slide show or tying demonstration at your club in the coming year, please let me know as soon as possible. The most popular dates are filling up. If you're a club member as would like me to come to your group, please recommend me to your program chairman so that we can set up a date.

__________________________________________________ _________

Jack Gartside

gartside@jackgartside.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This newsletter comes to you directly from Jack Gartside:

14 Beach Road, Winthrop, MA USA 02152

Catch something at JackGartside.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To unsubscribe from Jack's mailing list, or update your email information, please click here