PDA

View Full Version : striper set-up

flyfishingdad
09-04-2008, 05:14 AM
I have been fishing stripers the past couple weeks using my 7wt and a shooting head setup. My question is there a better setup than shooting heads because they hang up on the loop connection at the end and it is tough casting with a heavy fly. Would a full sinking line be a solution? I have been using the fastest sinking shooting head. Thanks for the help.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-04-2008, 07:45 AM
Out of a boat the shooting head (loop to loop) system is good but while wading it can be easier with an integrated line because they are smoother casting for many.

The "Teeny type" lines with an integrated extra fast sinking ~25' head are very popular.

For your 7 weight you need 200 or 250 (if it's very stiff/fast action).

Teeny, Rio, SA and Airflo all make these extra fast sinking integrated lines.

For wading we like the ones with the floating running lines.

For out of a boat we like the ones with the intermediate sinking running lines.

paulegan81
09-04-2008, 09:11 AM
hello flyfishndad.....
if the knots are giving you a problem when casting......try getting them 2-4' out of the rod tip before shooting the line........this lets you haul on the forward cast with out pulling the loop to loop in to the rod........
I use all running line/shooting head combos.

the head is going to wear out sooner than the running line (rocks,trees and,parts for convertible car tops... ect.ect.)
i use T-8 for 4wt and 5wt
T-11 for 6-8 wt's
and T-14 for some stronger8's and above

as for running line i prefer air-flow ridge running line in the salt water size 30# (i believe it is .037) for an intermediate line out of the boat....

and when wading i use an old WF F flyline of any wt. size with the head (front 30') cut off and a loop installed.....

This also lets me use the same reel's and running line for shad with slower sink rate heads..........

hope some of this helps

Paul
Tight lines to all
and to all a good fight

Frank Alessio
09-04-2008, 09:43 AM
If you are using Amnesia and do not change lines a lot then you might try the way I do it. I use an 8 wt. rod with a Teeny 250S cut off and nail notted to 25 lbs amnesia.. I have used this set up for quite a while and I love it.. But you can go see Bill and get one of the New Rio (SA) type lines and they are a lot easier than getting the kinks out of amnesia. Tony Buzzolich showed me a neat way to streach Amnesia yesterday. You hook a 12 lbs Striper and by the time he nets it for you your line is ready to go. Hope this helps.... Frank

Tony Buzolich
09-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Hey Bro, I thought you knew how to spell my name? :?

As for stretching the kinks out of your line, a couple of these guys will straighten things out quick for you.

TONY "BUZOLICH"

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b320/buzolich/frankupload.jpg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Along time ago a guy told me that he always catches a big Brown trout right off to straighten his leader.

Har har............

flyfishingdad
09-05-2008, 05:05 AM
Thank you all for your input and thank you Bill for this board. I will be heading to the shop soon.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-05-2008, 07:07 AM
Lower American River Striper guide Andy Guibord told me yesterday that he uses a 6 weight rod with a 200 grain "Teeny type" sinktip line or a 7 weight rod with a 250 grain "Teeny type" sinktip line for guiding newcomers because they are so easy to cast at first compared to lead core.

I think he uses smaller, lighter flies for "new to Striper" casters too. Our water is very clear so that is a good thing too.

This would be while drifting in his Jon boat on the Lower American River.

Frank Alessio
09-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Hey Tonie I just do the best I can.....Thanks again foer a great trip..

Your Bro Hank

Charlie Gonzales
09-05-2008, 02:53 PM
A seven weight with a 200 or 25o intergrated line is definately the way to go for newbies. I even like a little bit longer rod like a 9'6" to keep that fly away from them just a bit more. And always remember to pinch those barbs.