PDA

View Full Version : Lower Trinity River is slow..............

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-03-2008, 07:41 AM
Jason Hartwick is up in Weaverville this week scouting the Trinity River for Steelhead.

He said the fish are a little late this year.

wjorg
09-03-2008, 04:59 PM
The Ocean dead zone is a little unappealing for the fish to cross.....kind of like holding your breath while swimming underwater across a 40 mile long swimming pool.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Thanks 'wjorg',

I think that is what happened to the salmon too?

Big current shifts in the Pacific?

speyfool
09-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Hi Guys.

My first post here.

I was up on the Trinity the past couple of days. I saw plenty of fish in the fly fishing only section and down river through Steiner Flat. Lots of big ones too (24" and above). Quite a lot of salmon too.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-06-2008, 07:23 AM
Sounds good.........I guess it's time to start heading up there?

Jasonh
09-06-2008, 09:49 AM
As Bill said, I was up on the lower Trinity and Klamath for 7 days and saw very few fish in the lower Trinity, i.e. Hawkins Bar to the mouth. Most of what we saw were half pounders and Salmon. There was an early push of hatchery fish in late July which have made their way into the higher reaches of the river.

The mid to lower reaches of the river should start to see some nice pushes of adult steelhead in the next few weeks. Late Septmeber into October is a great time to swing flies on Spey and switch rods in this part of the river.

I will keep reports updated on my blog each week as the season progresses.
http://www.steelheadonthespey.com/Site/Blog.html

Jason

speyfool
09-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Hi Jason!

What flies do you recommend for steelhead on the trinity? I'll be going again in October in the upper section with either my spey or switch rod. I hate using indicators and would rather be swinging flies, but I'm not familiar enough with the water there to know what may be preferred.

Thanks,
Rick

Jasonh
09-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Hi Rick,

Good patterns to swing on the Trinity are silver hiltons, green butt skunks, brindle bugs, mossbacks, and burlaps. Most of these patterns fish well in smaller sizes #6-10. I fish a mixture of these and some of my own patterns but it has more to do with presentation and where to find the fish, than the pattern itself. Good luck.

Jason

speyfool
09-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Thanks Jason. I appreciate it.

Adam Grace
09-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Jason, Hopefully we can meet up and fish the Trinity together this season....maybe we'll even invite Mike along :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wjorg
09-11-2008, 07:46 PM
The dead zone I referred to has been linked to the decay of algae in the rivers washing out to sea. As the algae decays in the river the bacteria that break it down use up all the available oxygen. Until the ocean currents shift near winter and mix up the water, the ocean water surrounding the river mouth is hypoxic, or low on oxygen.

In South America there is only one dead zone, and it occurs near the mouth of the only river whose farmland is fertilized by chemical fertilizers.

There are over 400 identified dead zones in the world and they almost only occur at the mouths of rivers whose farmlands are fertilized by chemical fertilizers.

Ever been to putah creek? It isnt called Green River by the locals for no reason.

I would assume the salmon want to stay away. Apparently you can watch creatures flee the hypoxic water.

MSP
09-12-2008, 01:49 AM
Hey Adam, you don't have to invite me along, Jason is a guide now! 8)

Andris
09-16-2008, 07:50 AM
I haven't heard anything about how the weekend went, but the lower section (Del Loma to Willow Creek) was a goast town last Thursday. We saw maybe two or three spin casters, no boats and no fish. Guys I talked to up by the fly water said they heard someone caught an adult last Tuesday near Junction City and that some half pounders were in the Willow Creek area. There's supposed to be a little rain on Friday--maybe that will get them going. -Rob