PDA

View Full Version : north fork of the middle fork

jburge
09-03-2008, 06:14 AM
For this total newbie, it was a blast. Spent the day (8/27) on the North Fork of the Middle Fork of the American just outside of Foresthill. It was my first time out *ever* with a fly rod and I had at least half a dozen hits (seemed more like "hit and spit"), three on, and landed my first rainbow. I learned a LOT about trying to cast (I can't say I'm a flycaster yet) in tight quarters, and dealing with winds in the canyon. I'm hooked (pun intended). I appreciate all the advice I've gotten from the guys at Kiene's and everybody on this board.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-03-2008, 07:25 AM
That's fantastic JB.........glad that the fish gods cooperated with you too.

Small stream trout fishing is pretty good stuff.........

Ed Wahl
09-03-2008, 08:32 PM
Welcome to the club JB. There's no going back now. Those small canyon streams will teach you a lot of things you'll never get just fishing the big, popular waters. Your trout reflexes will get faster pretty quick, so fast it's scary. Often you won't even remember what made you tighten up.

Maybe you can't call yourself a fly caster, but you're now a fly fisherman. That's what counts. Ed

jburge
09-04-2008, 09:03 AM
Thanks, Ed. I have no intention of going back ;-) And if I'm able to learn as much about reflexes as I did about small canyon streams in just one day, I'm anxious to see where I am in a couple of months. Wow, this is fun!