PDA

View Full Version : Staycation report...

TMS
09-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Last day of "Staycation" before heading back to the salt mines! A Summer spent doing a lot of "stuff' besides fishing didn't keep me off the water today :D

5:00AM...Awoke to blackness and the sounds of Morning Doves in the backyard.

5:30AM...First cup of 'mud' consumed and all gear ready for a morning in the inflatable at the Lafayette Reservoir...thought about the American and the Yuba, but I needed to float!

6:00AM...Headed for the LR. On the water at 6:40AM!

The LR was smooth as glass, with a whisper of a breeze! I had the H2O to myself and decided to just paddle for a bit. My 6 weight and spin rod didn't mind. Paddled to the middle of the reservoir and just took in the "quite!" Almost forgot that I was there to fish :oops:

7:00AM I headed for the tullies and started tossing some Jay "Fishy" Fullum foam hoppers...Lost 2! My finese casting into tight reed openings isn't that good...My third hopper brought me several gulps and two smallish bass to hand.

7:20AM...switched over to a Hairstacker red/white Tap's Bug and got three good grabs but nothing to hand...

By 7:45 the sun was up and I did some 'spinning' with a few Kast Master plugs...Hey, the trout are down deep :twisted: Nada!!

The inflatable was purring like a kitten and I covered alot of water...East...West...South and North. My shoulders were aching, but I was in the groove.

9:00AM...Headed back toward the tullies by the boat dock and tied on a Woolie Bugger...Olive with rubber legs, size 10...BINGO! Had a half dozen grabs but in my excitement I didn't land a single fin!

10AM...With the breeze picking up I switched back to a "Fishy" Fullum hopper and finished out the hour tossing it into the tullies...I noticed some activity in the tullies and targeted a small slot opening...After a lot of casting frustration I managed about 4 good casts in a row...Number 4 was the winner! The hopper was hammered by a good sized bass...It took me into the weeds and I lost it, but the top water grab gave me goose bumps.

11AM...Done for the day. Staycation over!

Later...

Thom

Hairstacker
09-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Paddled to the middle of the reservoir and just took in the "quite!" Almost forgot that I was there to fish

Thom, sometimes it actually occurs to me that I didn't manage a fishing trip properly when I don't have moments like that. . . . I have to remind myself to slow down and take some time to just soak it all in.

Really enjoyed your report. Sounds like you were entertained. :)