PDA

View Full Version : Rogue River Guides

Gary Flanagan
08-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Can anyone suggest a good guide we can book for fly-fishing the Rogue around Shady Cove this October?

shawn kempkes
08-29-2008, 01:23 PM
I would reccomend scott Howell http://www.scotthowellfishing.com/ss/index.aspx

Anne Vitale
08-29-2008, 07:32 PM
I recommend Steve Godshall. I have fished with Steve every year for the last 7 years. In fact I have yet another date set in a couple of weeks. He is hard to book but it is worth a try, Here is his email address. stevegodshall@charter.net

Anne

PatrickM
08-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Gary,
Call the Ashland Fly Shop and ask for Will. (541) 488-6454 He's in the shop every day except Monday.
Will is dialed in up there and can definately point you in the right direction. Plus, he's a great guy and loves to talk fishing, especially swinging flies for steelhead.
Don't mention my name though. :twisted:
Best of luck.

Patrick

bubzilla
08-30-2008, 07:35 AM
I wholeheartedly second the recommendation of Steve Godshall. He's a great guy, and an incredibly hardworking guide (no watching the clock for 8 hours B.S. like you get with many guides). He works closely with Gary Anderson and Beulah on rod design, and is an excellent teacher. I know or have spent quite a bit of time fishing around the majority of guides that fish the area you're interested in, and all of the others would be second (or worse) to Steve.

If Steve is unavailable, you should give Fly Water Travel in Ashland a call. I think Rachel is now doing the bookings for the Rogue. They will get you a first-class guide, take care of all the arrangements, and you don't pay any more than you would by booking direct. Takes all the guesswork and hassle out of finding a guide. The guy that runs the company, Ken Morrish, will forget more about steelhead this morning by Noon than 99 percent of the people you'll ever hear pontificating about steelhead will learn in their lifetime. Rachel hooked my brother and I up with Brad McFall for a trip on the Trinity last year, and he is one of the best guys, and greatest young guides, I have ever had the privilege of meeting. You just can't go wrong having Fly Water do your booking.

BillyB
08-30-2008, 09:32 AM
Try Todd at Trophy Waters in Medford. I've floated with him a few times. Great guide. He'll work hard to get you into fish. www.trophywaters.net
Nice website for steelhead pics.

Gary Flanagan
08-30-2008, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the responses!!

Gary