PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Fall fishing soon..........September!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-29-2008, 07:10 AM
The cooling in September means Half-pounder Steelheading to me. They come in many Valley rivers plus the lower Klamath and Lower Rogue Rivers. This is really quality fly fishing at it's best.

This is a good month for those adult Summer-run Steelhead to get active with the cooler temps. The Deschutes and Umpqua Rivers should get better too.

Lots of peolpe are coming into the shop getting ready for their British Columbia Steelhead trips now too. This is a chance to hook some big Steelhead while swinging flies the traditional way.

__________________________________________________ ___

The cooler weather should get the warm water species going too. Can't wait for more top water LMB action down in the Delta.

__________________________________________________ ___

September means the Isonychia mayfly emergence on the Pit River too. Big wild Rainbow trout will be chasing those large dark swimming nymphs all day long.

__________________________________________________ ____

King Salmon start to filter into the Valley rivers with the Lower Feather River being the first to get them in fish-able numbers.

The high country trout fisheries are all going great guns too.

Many are coming into the shop now getting ready for the Silver Salmon fishing in Alaska. It's big Rainbow trout time up there too.

Some are headed for places like Montana for the Fall trout fishing in September.

Many of our Vallet rivers will get going more for the resedent trout like the Lower Yuba and Lower Sacramento Rivers.

__________________________________________________ ______

PS: I think this hot spell should be the last one for this summer....

OregonSalmon
09-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Didn't know if I would see the day where I agreed with Bill be he is spot on about the Pit. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. That river was the greatest trout fishing I ever have been bruised by. It is cruel but the reward is fantastic; strongest trout inch by inch on the planet. Don't even have to think. Just tie on a #8 iso nymph, toss it in the whitewater. The downside: the river will kick your ass. I'm tellin' ya, it is the Gitmo of rivers. You really have to mix it up with the bugger. Even back in the day, after two days me and the boys were through. Never forget the time when I headed up with Bill, he had a knee strain and I kept on making fun of his slow speed. A fall later the Good Lord struck me with a knee injury (on the Pit) to show me that smart asses pay the price. Since then I have behaved.

Rick J
09-02-2008, 11:02 AM
OS- I assume that when you indicate that you have behaved since then, you mean that in the vary loosest terms :)

I think September /October are probably my two favorite months (for sure for steelhead) though I may need to give the nod to August and tricos on Silver Creek as that is the most fun I can think of with a fly rod!!