PDA

View Full Version : Free 'Half-pounder' seminar @ Watt Avenue

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-27-2008, 11:28 PM
On Wednesday evening, September 3rd, at 7:00-8:00pm Jeff Putnam will be showing us how to fly fish for the 'Half-pounder' Steelhead (10 to 20 inches plus) that usually enter the Lower American River in September.

Jeff will talk about tackle and flies, then the water types you are looking for and finally how to cast and control the line for a proper drift. He will be teaching the traditional methods of Steelheading which is swinging flies down and across.

He will then talk about and demonstrate the new two-handed 'Switch' rods which are becoming very popular in Nor Cal for swinging flies for Steelhead.

See you there......

http://jpflyfishing.com/images/rivercast.jpg

http://jpflyfishing.com/

Steve Ekstrom
08-28-2008, 02:25 PM
Hi Bill,

Long time no see. I hope you're well.

I'd like to attend Jeff's 1/2-pounder instruction on Sept. 3 and was wondering if I should bring my equipment or if this just lecture and no fishing. If it's the former I'll probably come by the shop first to replace some flies - my vest and fly box were stolen from my garage earlier this summer.

Steve.

Scott V
08-28-2008, 02:47 PM
I'll be upstream fishing but will try and pull myself away to come down to the seminar. Kudos to Jeff for putting this on for free.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-28-2008, 11:17 PM
Hi Steve,

You might try a bit before and after the seminar.

Grampa Spey
09-01-2008, 05:36 AM
Hopefully, you will have some of the new shorter head/two handed lines for the shorter switch rods to try.

I'm still looking for the Nirvana 2 handed line for my Meiser 5/6 10'6" switch rod.

Greg Pearson sent a box of one handed SA Skagit lines to try, and my switch rods with my terrible casting skills, just overload these one handed lines. The good news is the new SA Shark Skin shooting/running lines, he sent me to try, may be the best ever. You will need :shock: striping gloves or finger guards with them.

Bill/Jeff, we need a workshop during the week and on a weekend for those who have to work with/for the switch rods and the shorter two handed spey rods. We don't need the long heavy two handed rods for most of our casting and fishing in N California. The shorter two handed Spey rods and switch rods are all that we basically need and lines that match them.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-01-2008, 06:25 AM
Hi GS

I think it's all about Switch rods and short lines now too.

Some of our guys like the Beulah Switch rod lines a lot.

We will schedule a Switch rod get together on a Sat or Sun soon.

Grampa Spey
09-01-2008, 07:04 AM
Hi GS

I think it's all about Switch rods and short lines now too.

Some of our guys like the Beulah Switch rod lines a lot.

We will schedule a Switch rod get together on a Sat or Sun soon.

===============================================
I'm looking forward to trying Beulah Switch Rod lines.

Don't leave out the shorter Spey Rods, less than 13'-14'. There is a place for both Switch rods and the Shorter Spey rods in our waters.

Maybe Gary Anderson can come down and the Beulah guys for the upcoming Switch/Short Spey Day.

Bill, thanks for what you do for the fly rod communities.

Garrett S
09-02-2008, 02:52 PM
I will be there, what do i need to bring :)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Hat & sunglasses?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-03-2008, 07:42 AM
You can fish before and after the seminar so bring your gear if you like.

See you tonight aty Watt Avenue.

Scott V
09-04-2008, 06:58 AM
Can someone post info from the seminar last night, work had me going all over the state so I was way to tired to be out on the water last night. I am really bummed about missing the class.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-04-2008, 07:37 AM
Jeff talked about Switch rods for a while then talked about fly fishing for summer Steelhead and Half-pounders and then demonstrated some casting/fishing techniques.

40 people showed up and it was really nice down on the river.

It was a good event..........now just get out there in the morning and evening for the next two months and you will get them.

Half-pounders were rolling right behind Jeff last night.

speyfool
09-05-2008, 10:42 PM
I wanted to attend but was up at the Trinity instead.

I'm not real experienced with the American. I've only fished in the area around El Manto. Is the area around Watt better for half pound action? I drove over the bridge once and looked to see mostly slow water. Are there riffles down there?

BTW, I'm a big fan of switch rods and swinging flies. The greatest thing about the switch is that you can not only spey cast, but they also work great as a single hand rod if you don't mind pushing a little more weight around. Additionally, the length make for a good pocket water rod. Wish I could of made it to this event. Maybe next time.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-06-2008, 07:22 AM
I have fished all the water above the bridge for many years. It is popular but there are tons of place on the river to fish.

You can swing flies for Half-pounders from Sailor Bar near the hatchery downstream to the end of Paradise Beach. That's a lot of water........

Right now I think really early is best with the warm weather and evenings are second best time.

September and October are great months for swinging for half-pounders in the Lower American River.

After we get some weather and overcast you could fish all day. Floating the river all day and getting out at every good looking spot would be good in October/November.