PDA

View Full Version : Yuba 8/26

DonCooksey
08-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Fished the Yuba for a couple of hours last evening above the bridge (before it closes in a few days). Caught a few smaller fish from 11-13" and this strong 17-incher just before dark. It was the most brighly colored trout I have caught on the Yuba, although my camera's flash kicked, and the photo does not show the red color as well as I remember it. I'm guessing this was an older male, based on his somewhat hooked jaw. He also had a damaged gill plate on the side shown. Sure pulled hard, however, just like the usual Yuba rainbows.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v649/DonCooksey/IMGP1202b.jpg

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-27-2008, 08:21 PM
That's a real 'stud'..............gorgeous.

Adam Grace
08-27-2008, 08:30 PM
That's one beautiful trout! Good job

flyfishingdad
08-28-2008, 05:15 AM
When will the yuba close above the bridge and for how long?

DonCooksey
08-28-2008, 06:59 AM
It closes at the end of August through November. Here is what it says in the CA fishing regulations, page 58:

"From Highway 20 Bridge to EnglebrightDam. Dec. 1 through Aug. 31. Only artificial lures with barbless hooks may be used."

As I remember, that is to protect salmon spawning. I met a guy out there that evening who saw two big salmon there just above the bridge already, so that is a good sign.

TMS
08-28-2008, 10:44 AM
Hi Don...How was the bug action? I haven't been up to the Yuba in over a year and the recent reports have been encouraging. Your 'catch' looks very healthy.

Later...

Thom

charles
08-29-2008, 07:33 AM
I was up there yesterday. Only fished from 10am -2pm. ( the worst hours for fishing) throwing hoppers and nymphing just below the bridge and down 200 yards. One fish looked at the hopper, and had two takes on a caddis pupa with one smallish (10 inch) rainbow to hand. It was my first time fishing the yuba below the bridge so I didn't expect to do that great(especially considering the time I was there). I'll bet it is great later in the day and in the evening when the bugs start hatching. I can't wait to see what it looks like in the evening.

Charles

DonCooksey
08-29-2008, 12:23 PM
Thom:

No bugs to speak of. Just a few caddis. Most of the trout I caught took a fox pupah, and one 11-incher took a big stonefly nymph.

Bernard
09-04-2008, 03:24 PM
What a beautiful animal. Thanks for sharing!