PDA

View Full Version : REALLY cool waterproof slr bag

Adam Grace
08-27-2008, 04:05 PM
I just started searching for waterproof bags to hold my DLSR and some fishing gear, and I found this Lowepro bag:

http://products.lowepro.com/product/DryZone-Rover,1936,18.htm

http://products.lowepro.com//CatalogImages/18-1936-IMG8L.jpeg

I almost fell into the stream last time I brought my camera so I have been interested in finding a waterproof solution ever since.

Besides the tiny Simms bag that doesn't hold a DSLR do you guys know of any other backpack style camera bag that is waterproof?

I like this style but the bag costs about $230 online. I'd like to spend less money...........but I could live with the price due how protected my camera will be.

jhaquett
08-27-2008, 06:40 PM
Hey Adam,

I was JUST shopping for a camera backpack. I was seriously considering the dryzone rover. From what I have read, and I researched the stupid things for about two weeks, the dryzone series packs are really difficult to get into and the zippers are really hard to deal with. They really are completely waterproof, but you have to set them down and take them apart to get to your gear.

Personally, I decided that I wanted protection from weather (the AW series Lowepros come with all weather cover slips and an all weather fabric), when I am in the water I can always set it down and pick it up from hole to hole. Plus, some of them (like the primus that I ended up purchasing) have side and lumbar access points for easily accessible gear.

Last, if you really want a dryzone bag, lowepro has the the dryzone 100, 200, and rover, though I must say the rover is by far the coolest. You can easily get them for $160 on ebay or craigslist. I had a guy agree to my offer of $125 on craigslist.

Good luck deciding, it was tough for me. 8)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-27-2008, 08:39 PM
http://images3.orvis.com/orvis_assets/prodimg/9E4GF8JE_lg.jpg

Orvis 'Aqua Zoom SLR camera case'

Was $95.00, now $59.00 on the Orvis web site.

Andy and I just got one.

Holds a big SLRD with fairly big lens.

Adam Grace
08-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Bill, that little case is cool, thank you!

Josh, thanks for your info. I've read the same things about the rover's zipper, for now the extra cost will keep me away, the price of the orvis bag is just too good.

Thanks guys.

Adam Grace
08-27-2008, 10:26 PM
Well, that was a fast decision on my part, I just ordered that bag from Orvis, $74 after tax and shipping, but way cheaper than the Rover and I can still wear my vest when I go fishing. I'm very excited!

bolden
08-29-2008, 03:07 PM
I see you already settled on the smaller pack, but i will add my thoughts. I have the Dryzone 200 and it is perfect for what i do. I always take my camera with me and i usually end up taking the camera and 3 or 4 lenses. If you only want to carry a camera and one lens then this pack would not be the right choice.

As far as the zipper, i think it is a little overblown. The zipper takes a little force to open, but in all honesty it takes no more time than a normal zipper. The problems people have with the zipper not sealing properly or being real tough to open is because they don't take care of it. The backpack came with some silicon type lubricant, and if you use that every few months the problems never appear.

The biggest thing for me is that i no longer have to worry about crossing chest deep fast water in order to get to the other side of the river. I have had the backpack partially submerged on the bottom and there has not even been a drop of water get it, plus it floats so you have your own floatation device.

One thing i will point out is that the backpack does not have the greatest waist strap and after a full day with a decent amount of gear i can have a sore back. I recently used my dads old magnesium backpacking frame and strapped just the waterproof part of the pack onto the frame, along with a small bag for fishing stuff. I used this to hike to Grinnel Glacier in Glacier park and after hiking a total of 12 miles in 4 hours i had no problems.

Also i fish out of just the dryzone 200 and it works fine. I have the box in the back mesh and a pair of nippers and a few tippets in my front pocket. This allows me to change flies without taking the backpack off.

Anyway, i think you made the right decision getting the small case, but if you ever get a bigger collection of lenses the dryzone bags are wonderful.

Adam Grace
08-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Thanks for your input Ben. Maybe later I'll get the dry zone but it's more than I'm prepared to spend right now.

Adam Grace
09-13-2008, 09:25 PM
I bought the Orvis bag but now I am having second thoughts about saving up for the Lowepro waterproof bag.............

jhaquett
09-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Maybe you could keep the Orvis bag around for waterproof use, but purchase a Lowepro bag for hiking and fishing, mainly when you need to carry a good amount of gear plus lunch, etc.

I am really happy with my Primus AW, it is a sweet backpack. I'm going to break it in for its first real trip in a few weeks while dive/hiking in Point Lobos State Reserve.