PDA

View Full Version : Tarpon hook question

john
08-25-2008, 06:42 AM
I just got back from a most exciting tarpon trip to Belize. The third day out I jumped 5 fish on a large sand flat, all in the 40-60# range. I managed to stay connected to 3 of them each for about 20 minutes. The problem is that the hook just pulled on 2 of them, and the fly came back with the barb absolutely flattened-so flat you had to squint to even see a barb was originally there. The fly was a LeMay big-eye, which appears to be tied on a TMC 600SP, a hook I have great faith in. So, is this an issue, or should I just chalk it up to another way to lose a tarpon, or is it more likely the hook pulled and the flattened barb was a nonfactor?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-25-2008, 06:59 AM
We all have our ideas so here are mine.

That is a good hook but my favorite is an Owner 'Aki' for medium to large tarpon.

I do fish with the barb down too.

Actually I have heard that if you boat 1 out of 4 tarpon hooked that is pretty normal odds.

Today the Florida Keys guides fish a pretty heavy drag so the fish has to really put up a fight to get any line out on you. I think this keeps the hook buried well too. Years ago they fought tarpon with very light drags on fly reels.

Where were you fishing? That sounds like very nice fishing.

john
08-25-2008, 08:04 AM
Thanx Bill. I was staying in San Pedro, but fished about an hour boatrun south, almost to St. Georges Caye, and pretty much due east of Belize City.

FISHEYE
08-25-2008, 02:04 PM
My poon experience is limited to three trips to Placencia, Belize. I tied all kinds of flies on various hooks and I also managed to screw up plenty of shots, or jumps or hookups in numerous but fun ways, as did the guys I fished with. Anyway, based on my limited experience, I think the Owner Aki is my favorite hook. I also like the Tiemco 600SP but found that it sometimes dulled or the point bent if it hit the coral- however, its also a great hook. I can still visualize when I jumped a fish of about 70 pounds and I did not bow. The hook came back pretty straight but I was happy that my knots held. Note that we catch a lot of tarpon there on gummy minnows which are "tied" on the crappiest hooks possible and we had some of about 50 pounds on the small gummies, which I think is maybe a size 2 and thin wire.