PDA

View Full Version : More sierra fun

Scott V
08-18-2008, 07:45 AM
Kathy "my wife" and I headed up to some new water for some exploring and a little fishing. A good friend turned me onto a very nice place that has some of the clearest water I have ever seen in my life. Some of the pools actally had that blue crystal clear coloring to it. And the fish were willing to hit my dries the whole time I was there. Nothing of big size, your typical sierra size rainbow, but these rainbows were some of the prettiest ones I have caught. I think it had something to do with the crystal clear water, next time I go up I am taking my swimming mask to see these trout in action. When we decided to head home we took the back route which was very long, but we saw something I have never seen up in the mountains. It was amzing to see this animl standing in the middle of the road right next to a 1000' drop off. But there it was, bell and all.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/Rubicon/IMGP0831.jpg

I caught this little guy on my second cast, he was average size with a few bigger and a few smaller, but the colors on some of the others were amazingly brighter than other sierra trout I have caught.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/Rubicon/IMGP0824.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/Rubicon/IMGP0826.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/Rubicon/IMGP0828.jpg

The rock in this section of the river was one of the cooest things I have seen, the lines in the water were hypnotizing.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/Rubicon/IMGP0829.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/PsychoZ/Rubicon/IMGP0830.jpg

Just another day in the water.

dryflychico
08-18-2008, 08:01 AM
Scott,

You are a fishing machine. I'm jealous of how much you are getting out, keep up the good work.

I actually fished there for the first time about 3 or 4 weeks ago, beautiful creek. Did you go above the pool with the lines? That was as far as I made it the evening I fished.

Keep up the good work.

Dryflychico (aka Josh)

Scott V
08-18-2008, 08:17 AM
If you mean the pool that is about 200+ yards long, that is where I stopped, a great place to go skinny dipping, even though there is nothing skinny about me :lol: . With my wife their I didn't want to get to far away from her. But I do plan on going back and hiking alot further.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-18-2008, 08:23 AM
I guess those beautiful Sierra stream will always be there for those who will take the time and energy to hike them.

I guess you could spend a lifetime exploring them all?

Over the years I have had some customers who specialized in hiking down into those remote trout streams.

Tom Debble is one and Steve Rice and his big friend (?) too. Fun to look at their photos and hear their stories.

I think this is something to do with a fishing partner and you have to be in shape.

I have not done a lot myself but did go on a horse pack trip into the high country once.

Ed Wahl
08-18-2008, 08:39 AM
Nice shots there Scott. I see you opted for straight up from the parking lot. You can spend a lifetime prowling around in that canyon and still not see it all. Watch out for those mountain cows, they bite. :) Ed

dryflychico
08-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Now I am kind of confused.

Scott,

In the 5th pic with "the lines in the water were hypnotizing" you are a couple hundred yards up river from the pool that is a couple hundred yards long which you can see in your 6th pic.

Now I'm wondering (looking upstream) did you access the river from the right side or left side?

Ed,

Parking lot? When I accessed I parked on the far side (basically on the side of the road) of the bridge (left side) and hiked down a fire road. Did you guys access from the other side?

Just curious since I've only been there once.

tight lines,
dryflychico

dryflychico
08-18-2008, 09:08 AM
Sorry everyone I realize reading my posts if probably boring for everyone except Scott and Ed :( .

You guys, feel free to PM me with the answers. :D

Ed Wahl
08-18-2008, 09:09 AM
Josh, it's confusing because I'm stuck in a time warp. The fire road you walked down was open to cars up until about 3 years ago. The bottom of the hill was the parking lot. Ed

Scott V
08-18-2008, 09:31 AM
The pool you see is not the big one I got all the way up to, the other pools is much bigger, way bigger, atleast 200 yards long. And yes I took the fire trail down which puts you on the river just above the bridge by about 20 yards. The trail would be on the left side of the river.

And I thought the main topic would have turned to the cows, what are they doing out in the middle of the forest just walking along the road. they did have ear tags and bells so they belong to someone.

Ed Wahl
08-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Range cattle, someone has leased the grazing rights to that part of the Eldo. Natl. Forest. They're up there all season long. In the fall they round 'em up and truck them to lower pastures or slaughter. Ed

dryflychico
08-18-2008, 11:38 AM
Ed,

That makes sense now, I got all excited when I saw the dirt road and figured I was driving down to the river but when I turned right I was quickly met by some nice big bolders. Oh well that hike is small, even for a guy with a bum knee :) . You ever catch anything over 12" in there? I had one 12" on but everything else was 3" - 10".

Scott,

OK. So you made it up farther than I did. It was starting to get dark while I was down there and I was by myself (except for my 2 faithful fishing buddies the yellow labs) so I turned around and fished out. I actually turned around in the pool with those lines. How much farther up is the big pool?
Anyway, nice area. Tons of fish. All small. Kept drowning my flies :D .

Tight lines,
dryflychico

Phil Synhorst
08-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Good to see you got up there Scott!! =D>

Next time you'll have to take the trail up to the S. Fork, it's pretty easy as trails go. Then Ed and I can take you in on the down stream trails for some real punishment on the hike out. :lol:

Nice pics too, especially the one of the smoothed granite. Now that you have encountered the elusive Free Range Cattle, you can set your sites on spotting a Jack-O-Lope. :shock: :p