PDA

View Full Version : Cool on our Pacific coast now..............

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Some day I will not spend much or any of the month of August in Sacramento. After spending 63 summers in Sacramento it will be nice to go somewhere nice and be cool.

I will be on the Pacific coast of California, Oregon or Washington where the air is cool and clean.

We have relatives who are retired and spend several summer months RVing up on the Oregon coast at Winchester Bay. They want us to join them so maybe it will be possible some day. We would like to take a week off next August and inspect the north Pacific coast more.

They have better rock-fishing, crabbing and clamming than we do down here in Nor Cal.

__________________________________________________ ______

My fascination with the Pacific coast started some time back.

About 30 years ago one September, Craig Ziegler (now famous AK guide) and I took off and headed north and fished for a few weeks all the way to southern Washington Coast.

First we stopped at 'Ice Cream Riffle' on the Klamath River above Orleans where we landed some nice fresh Halfpounders.

Next we headed to the tide water of the Lower Eel River near Fortuna, CA looking for some early salmon, sea-run cutts and/or half-pounders. We fished from our prams for two days and had no success. We did see some small schools of King Salmon but none would bite. We found fly fishing veteran Ted Lindner at his trailer near by and he said he had fished it for the last two weeks without a grab so we did not feel too bad.

We took off and fished our way up the Oregon coast checking out many rivers. The Siletz was on of the prettiest. We fished the lower Nestucca River and caught one small Steelhead around 4 pounds.

In the tide water of the Nacanicum River in Seaside, OR we found a school of Silver Salmon which also had no interest in our flies. A 12 year old boy came over to area and cast a sinner for 5 minute and landed a nice 10 pounder that he immediately took home. Oh well..........we did get two limited of Dungeness crabs that we snagged from our prams in about four feet of very clear water in that tidewater.

There were also 3 types of ripe berries on the banks of these rivers. We fished and eat our way up those rivers.

We fished all the way up to the Humptulips River on the WA coast with little success because there had been very little rain that September.

We stopped in almost every coastal village where Craig sampled their coffee and I sampled their clam chowder.

It's a beautiful part of the world especially in August..........

mike N
08-26-2008, 03:53 PM
I've been swimming in the ocean 5 times in the last two weeks between Jenner and Point Arena. I can say that the kelp is heavy this year and I have only seen a few fish worthy of trying for, a 18" greenling last weekend and smallish blue sea bass the weekend before.

I did see lots of juvenile sea bass, up to 3" and a couple perch swiming around in the kelp.

My diving was at Salt Point, Fort Ross, and Fisk Mill cove. I didn't see anything while kicking out/in on the surface. Most diving was about 100 yards from shore and in 15 to 30ft of water with rocky substrate. Most other divers I spoke with or swam with didn't see much as far as fish are concerned either. Visibility wasn't too bad, mostly about 8'. The abalone are there, but I don't think you can get them with a fly. :D And the cast would have to be pretty far.

I understand they are closing the rockfish season down from point arena to the oregon boarder on the 2nd of September thru the end of the year to boat anglers.

Mike N

TaylerW
08-26-2008, 06:54 PM
bill,
i have been rockfishing and crabbing up and down the west coast every summer since i was 8. never has any place ever beaten shelter cove for rockfish or crab. ever. i also have fished the oregon coast for the past 2 years and i was extremely dissapointed...
shoot me a pm if ya need any info....

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-26-2008, 09:55 PM
Thanks guys.....

I guess I would be just happy to have cool clean air in August?

I have an old friend, Cecil Wilder, who has fished for years out of Shelter Cove in the saltwater. I will have to get over there next summer.