PDA

View Full Version : Epoxy!

captnorm
08-16-2008, 07:46 AM
Hi everybody: I'm going to tye up some Blados Crease flies for the upcoming stripers in Discovery Bay. Yesterday I went to the hardware store to look at and buy some epoxy for the flies. There are quite a few to choose from and I went away empty-handed! I wanted to buy 5 minute for the first coat and for the finishing coat, 30 minute epoxy. After looking at labels, some turn gray, some turn yellow, etc, after drying so I didn't buy anything. I decided that you guys (& gals) on the board have favorites, so please help me in getting on the right track.

Thanks for all your help!

norm :?

Jay Murakoshi
08-16-2008, 08:57 AM
Norm,

I've been using Devcon for 20+ years. Yes it does yellow. But I have found that coating the epoxy with two coats of Loon Hard Head, the heads/bodies won't turn yellow or should I say it won't turn yellow as fast.
I coat all my sea habit heads with 3 to 4 coats of Hard Head. I"ve had a sea habit on the dashboard of my truck for over a year and it hasn't turned yellow yet.

Just one option

Jay

Darian
08-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Over the past few years, I've used two types of epoxy. The first is Devcon 5 Min. variety with a coat of Sally Hansen's "Hard as Nails". As Jay points out, it usually "yellows" over time. IMHO, faster if used in salt water.... Of course, they're usually so chewed up it doesn't really matter much. :lol: :lol:

The second is an epoxy used in rod building. Flex Coat 30 min. variety.This dries very clear and hard. I coat this with Sally Hansen's, as well. Haqven't noticed any yellowing even after being exposed to salt air/water. 8) 8) I have little patience for the latter, tho. :?

paulegan81
08-17-2008, 06:09 AM
after using two diferent brands i have switched to Devcon in the small blue and white tubes. i think the package is white and blue with black writing....
in the metal tubes it is not subjected to any sun light before you use it and dose not thick'n up or turn yellow before you use it......... it dries crystal clear and if you are going to use the flies with in a year and keep them out of the sun... it will not yellow......like darian said usualy after one trip they are done any ways...........my only advice is that if you have not worked with epoxy much take your time and do one fly at a time when doing the epoxy... make sure that the epoxy has the same amount of each material...... Also make sure the belly of the fly dose not fill in the gap of the hook at all..... I had to shave a few of my first ones down while on my first trip to baja.... one cast four strikes and no hook up......... shaved it down and wam'o' the story gets worse from their...... but it was a lot of fun fishing crease flies......

good luck
those are great flies to catch fish on
Tight lines to all
and to all a good fight......

Paul

jbird
08-17-2008, 09:56 AM
Carl

How are you heating the epoxy?..Do you float the despenser in hot water? Does it cause a noticable thinning of the epoxy?

Thanks

Jay

Troutstalker55B
08-17-2008, 01:57 PM
I use the same formula as Jay M on my Eagle Lake Chui Chub patterns, and I'm quite pleased. I did high volume MFG with Hardman epoxy and the glue stayed clear for a long time, ski and snowboard repair companies like Tognar carry it.

Jonny B.

mark
08-18-2008, 10:22 AM
Always use devcon 5 minute as well. I don't understand the anti-yellowing stance held by many. Yellowing helps catch more fish...... embrace it....... hehe.

captnorm
08-19-2008, 06:19 AM
Devcon it is! Thanks for all your help!

Stay healthy!

Norm

captnorm
08-20-2008, 04:56 PM
DEVCON! ACE didn't have it! Lowes didn't have it either, nor did Home Depot! Where can I find it?

Norm :shock:

jbird
08-20-2008, 05:29 PM
Norm

My local NAPA auto parts has a whole line of epoxys including devcon. You might try your local auto parts dealership. Sometimes craft stores will have it. Inspect the tubes before you buy them and make sure it hasnt yellowed. That stuff has a shelf life and if its yellow in the tube, it dries yellow.

Jay

captnorm
08-20-2008, 06:55 PM
Thanks Jay, will try NAPA tomorrow.

Norm

Digger
08-26-2008, 05:10 PM
DEVCON! ACE didn't have it! Lowes didn't have it either, nor did Home Depot! Where can I find it?

Norm :shock:

The Hysol/Locktite brand offers a wide variety of epoxy adhesives and are readily available online, try a search for it.