PDA

View Full Version : It's Half-pounder Steelhead time again

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-15-2008, 07:01 AM
Many rivers get a run of Half-pounders in the Fall in Nor Cal.

Naturally, we are most familiar with our own river, the Lower American.

The Lower Yuba River gets some too. I think the Lower Feather and the Lower Sac have some.

The two best rivers for half-pounders is the Lower Klamath and Lower rogue rivers in Sept/Oct too. You can fish these river down low close to the ocean where the fish are in bigger schools and very fresh, right out of the salt water.

Most use 9 foot or longer fly rods in #4 though #7 for these small versions of the ocean going Rainbow Trout. People now use single hand and two-hand fly rods for them.

We mostly use a floating line and fish early and late in the day for them. If you want to fish mid-day you can use a sinktip and weighted fly to get down to them in the bright sun.

On cloudy or foggy or smoky days you can fish all day for them on top.

I guess Half-pounders are any Steelhead that is under 22 inches in most rivers.

They start coming in most of these rivers in August so get out the very early and look for them. Sept/Oct are the best months in the Fall.

Go down to the Lower American River around River Park/Cal Expo area early and/or late in the day and see if they are in yet.

http://www.kiene.com/gallery/albums/Steelhead-Salmon/MG_7914_yes.sized.jpg

Andy Guibord and I were at Watt Avenue on the Lower American River last September after work. We like to let these fish go so we can catch them again for many months.

Jeff C.
08-15-2008, 09:13 AM
I've been out several times on the lower portion of the A. and all I've caught so far has been smolts. Last Fall was great and I think this one will be even better. The hot fly for me has been my version of the Dirty Bird. I think Andy caught that halfpounder using one of my flies.

Jeff C.

Scott V
08-15-2008, 10:25 AM
I would be down there myself but I am loving it too much in the sierras where it is much cooler and the atmosphere is a little more pleasant. I usually am out every Wednesday after work, but the trout have me hooked right now. But I am sure once I see more reports I will be back on the American for those fun half pounders, and saving the trout for the weekends.

Oh yeah and don't forget about the top water action in the delta, the hoppers on the Yuba, mayflies going off everywhere, the list goes on and on. I think I really hate this time of the year, there are too many things happening at once and I can not be everywhere at the same time. What am I to do, I can not retire yet and I still have to work at least 40 hours a week.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-20-2008, 09:19 AM
OK....I know I'll get in trouble for this..........but they are here!!!!

Half-pounder Steelhead are in the Lower American River.

We had the report yesterday.

I will tell you that this is pretty normal, late August is the timing.

I can tell you that they were caught between Goethe Park and Cal Expo.

Get out very early and late in the day with an #4 to #7 line fly rod.

Swing downstream and across with a floating line, 9' 3x leader and a #12 nymph or wet fly.

Top Sacramento based fly fishing instructor Jeff Putnam is going to volunteer an hour of his time, free, at a soon to be specified date and time down on the river. He will show you techniques and the type of water to fish for 'Half-pounders'.

We will post this very soon right here under "Steelhead" on this message board.

Jeff C.
08-20-2008, 10:39 AM
That's great news Bill!! Time to leave the 6 wt. in the car so I can hit it after work. Jeff