PDA

View Full Version : Small 'Switch' rod for Lower American River 'Half-pounders'.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-15-2008, 06:48 AM
I think I will get a small Switch rod for this fall's Half-pounder Steelhead run in September/October.

Maybe a 10'6" - 11' #6 in 4 piece?

I have a nice old SA System #9 reel (Hardy Marque) that should be fun on it.

I fish early and late in the day with smaller (#8-14) flies so a full floating line will be OK for me.

I was casting some Switch rods on the Lower Klamath earlier this week and they are so light and fun to fish with.

'Switch' rods are mostly just small two-handed rods that can also be cast single handed.

'Switch' rods have a shorter handle system than a Spey rod and are usually 10'6" to 11' long. They come in sizes #3 to #9 line.

They becoming very popular............

We carry Anderson, Beulah, Sage, Scott and TFO 'Switch' rods. We will be getting more in too. They start at just over $300usd.

Grampa Spey
08-18-2008, 05:48 AM
Or his combo Z Switch and Spey Rod.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-18-2008, 08:35 AM
Here is an email I got from local Spey enthusiast Don Powell about my quest for a good small Switch rod:

__________________________________________________ ____

Hi Bill,

I really like a skagit head of 22-24' and grain weight of 350-360 for my Meiser System 6 switch rod. I use 10' of T8 and can single spey, snap T and just plain have a blast fishing the American or Trinity with that set-up!

You stock the Scientific Anglers Single Hand Spey heads which include a 360 grain 23' version and Spey Skagit Deluxe short heads which include a 350 grain 24' version. Either is going to be a great match.

I had an extra "old" Windcutter 10/11/12 which I use only the body (not Tip 2) on my rod. It is actually 22' (instead of the published spec of 24') and 360 grains (instead of the published spec of 378 grains). I couldn't believe how well it casts so I wasn't at all disappointed in the specs not being very accurate!

All the Best,

Don

__________________________________________________ _________

Thanks Don, That info will help a lot.

nrthcsteel
08-18-2008, 12:31 PM
Like Don and others in the past have mentioned using the body of the windcutters for a skagit head works great for lighter switch rods. Meiser also turned me on to using them as just a general all around versatile shooting head style line. For example on the system 2 I have I use a 6/7/8 windcutter. Remove tip 2 and simply loop on the standard windcutter tips to the windcutter body. This gives me a good versatile all purpose line. Body 23' @ +- 245 grains tips 15' +- 95gr. overall line 38' @ +-340grains. Works great although the type 8 is a bit much, But this is a lightweight rod so big bugs, heavier tips and getting down deep are usually not thought of when using this rod. If you know the sweetspot in your rods grain window you could just as easily dial it in with the appropriate WC line with tip 2 removed and your good to go. Simple, versatile and effective. With all the line choices out there nowadays you gotta like that. Kevin