PDA

View Full Version : Favorite breathable raincoat for wading?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-14-2008, 08:36 PM
What is yours?

Just curious because there are too many now for us to choose from.

dave earl
12-10-2008, 09:30 AM
I use the cabelas guide wading jacket-its long enough to come down over waders, breathable has lots of pockets and was less money than simms etc.....

Scott V
12-10-2008, 09:41 AM
If it is going to be raining all day I prefer to use a plastic poncho. They weight nothing and do not gain weight as the rain come down like a jacket can.

mems
12-10-2008, 09:46 AM
Aloha, I use BW sports rain gear. The light jacket is breathable. I use the heavy guide jacket and bibs for colder days and when it is heavy rain off-shore. They work great while wading also. mems.

loganmike
12-10-2008, 10:27 AM
The patagonia deep wading jacket is top notch Bill. I got mine from you 50% off last year and it is on EVERY trip. Weighs next to nothing, 100% waterproof, neoprene cuffs.

Absolutely bomber!

me

Jet
12-10-2008, 05:19 PM
I have a older Simms G3 jacket that I have taken to Alaska 2 times and use it on the Trinity.
I have been extremely happy with it. If I were looking for another jacket I would consider the Original Simms Guide jacket. I guess it depends on where you are going to use it. If I were using it close to home here in CA I would consider the Redington's but If I were going to be on a 10 day float in a remote area I would fork out the bucks for a high end Simms. I also have a Simms Freestone light weight goretex jacket that I use when its not too cold and it folds up nicely in the back of my vest. Simms seems to be very high priced but their stuff does what its supposed to do and does it very well. I guess its the price you pay to be warm, dry and comfortable. No I do not work for Simms.

Jet

mar
12-11-2008, 08:16 AM
i have a patagonia deep wading jacket as well and am very happy with it. It hasn't disappointed me yet. From valley tailwaters in wintertime, pyramid lake when it brutally cold to roaming the delta ( especially last weekend) and a few places in between. Very light, and kept me warm and dry.

Kelly Maher
12-13-2008, 07:14 AM
The original simms guide jacket now know as the "classic". I have had mine for at least 8-9 years. If you periodically treat the gore-tex and take decent care, it will last forever. If I had to get a new one, I would get another Simms or Patagonia SST or Guidewater.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
12-13-2008, 08:23 AM
When fishing on the Alaskan coast in September on the Tsiu River for Silvers it will usually rain and blow some but it's not really cold yet.

Having really good breathable rain coat and good breathable waders is so neat.

We have stayed out there all day through the rain and wind and not been cold or wet.

I like Gore-Tex so I use the Simms products but many have great luck with the Patagonia gear.

__________________________________________________ ______________________

I fished a week this summer up in Labrador out in boats and wading at Copper's Minipi River Camps for Brook trout and Pike. We wore our waders and then had rain jackets. We got "monsoon-ed" several times during the week. It's nice to have good new Gore-Tex breathable gear in that situation.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Here in CA in doesn't rain except in the winter time so we don't use rain coats that much.............

Bryan Morgan
12-13-2008, 01:52 PM
Very happy with the Redington Redststorm my wife picked up at the shop.

SteelieD
12-13-2008, 11:40 PM
Simms Rivertek Wading Jacket. Gore Tex. May be a discontinued model now?, but it is the real deal. Don't skimp on a rain coat!

I get to fish in the rain a lot. ;-)

BIGBROWN
12-15-2008, 03:48 AM
I have an Orvis tailwater xt wading jacket that I love. Its has loads of pockets, including two fleece lined hand warming pockets...very handy when you forget your gloves. Ive fished The Dream Stream in the middle of winter in with only a tee-shirt and light fleece underneath and I was toasty.

flyfshrmn
12-15-2008, 05:09 PM
I have several jackets that I wear for wet and wet/cold. If I'm going to be wading a lot, I use a Hodgman jacket that I picked up at Dragonfly in Weaverville. It's a little light on pockets, but has a set of velcro tabs and snaps that allow you to make it a shorty wading jacket or a long jacket. I also have a Helly Hansen gore tex raincoat that is fabulous for wet stuff but a little long for wading, but perfect for use in a boat or a pontoon. The other options are my Cabela's packable camouflage jacket, short enough to use for a wading jacket or a heavy duty hunting parka, both gore tex. I also have an REI shorty lightweight gore tex shell which can be used for layering in moderate conditions when it's wet, and it's light and crushable enough, comes with it's own little stuff bag and can be tucked into the vest or a large shirt pocket. The Hodgman is the best all around bet, but they cut their outerwear large. My Hodgman jacket is a medium and I wear XL normally. Keep in mind that you want one or more handwarmer pockets for really cold weather. To protect the jacket, I slip the handwarmers into old socks before putting them into a jacket pocket.

Paul B.
12-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Gore-Tex Eddie Bauer I bought at the outlet store in Vacaville on my way to the Trinity a few years ago. It was cheep but kinda goofy looking and the velcro wrist loops catch my fly line sometimes but it keeps me dry and warm. Next will be a Simms because I like the company. I've been happy with everything else that I have purchased from them. Paul
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y225/gs1dad/DSCN0949.jpg

Kurt P
12-18-2008, 01:50 AM
gsdad,
I love that picture. The fish, of course, is amazing, but it's your expression that I really like. It says it all--why we do what we do.
Good fishing,
Kurt

TomV
12-19-2008, 07:27 AM
I see where they are changing the Classic Guide jacket for 2009. Does anyone know what is changing? Should I go for a 2008 model as they are on sale now or are the improvements worth the waiting and extra $$?

NVswitch
12-21-2008, 11:45 PM
I have had a Simms Guide Classic jacket now for many years and just love it. I really like the design of the arm cuffs, as in heavy rain one does not get water running down the arms. My jacket has had several trips to Alaska, and many winter steelhead trips. It has held up extremely well. I do not know how they can improve on the design of the original jacket. mike

Rick J
12-23-2008, 08:31 AM
I had an original Simms before the guide jacket came out and it has lasted 15 years but the tape is coming apart so I broke down and got their G4 which is a very nice jacket and has kept me dry and warm in a couple of downpours.

I may send back my original to see if they can re-tape the seams. They say maybe as all the oils can cause problems in re-taping

Fats
12-30-2008, 07:18 PM
I started out in the Mid 1990's with the Patagonia SST. I love that jacket and still own it. My wife got me a Simms Guide jacket a couple of years ago. She got the SST. I just upgraded her to a Simms jacket this year and immediatly repo'd the SST for my use again.