PDA

View Full Version : McCloud/Pit camping ideas?

Ben Kobrin
08-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Hello all...I've got 5 free day's coming up here shortly and I'm thinking about spending them on the McCloud and Pit. I'd like to be able to create a "base camp" somewhere so that I can go between the two on any given day. Does anyone have any suggestions about where I can pitch a tent that is close to both but not too far from either? Thanks to anyone with advice!

-ben

Mik
08-12-2008, 11:48 AM
McAuther Burney Falls is a great place to camp. Makes the McCloud trip kinda long, but you have the Pit real close. Also, you have Hat and Baum Lake close. There are some nice camping spots on the Upper McCloud and Adi Na. Adi na is pretty deep. I am sure some other folks might know some spots in between. Sounds like a great trip. I am headed there in October. Can't wait to hear how you do.

PatrickM
08-12-2008, 03:25 PM
Message posted twice by mistake.

PatrickM
08-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Wooly,
You could camp at Ash Camp on the McCloud. It's about 1 mile down the dirt road below the dam. If you keep going on that dirt road it takes you over the hill and drops down right into Big Bend on the Pit. It's a pretty cool drive that takes about 45 minutes. Ash Camp is also reasonably close to the Conservancy/ Ah Di Nah stretch, the Upper McCloud, and Upper Sac, if you wanted to check out some different water.
Also, you could camp at Deep Creek camp ground on Pit 4 and take the dirt road the other way if you wanted to get to the McCloud.
Both camp grounds are right on the river. Just depends if you want to fish the McCloud or Pit more.
My 2 cents: camp at Ash Camp. Too many days wading on the Pit will beat you up.
Have fun, and good luck.

Charlie Gonzales
08-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Ash Camp makes a great base camp, if you want both the McCloud and the Pit. The drive to the Pit is a bit shorter than from Ah Di Na, and you can hike/fish the PCT from camp.

bigtj
08-12-2008, 08:46 PM
You could camp at the upper McCloud, off 89, which is about 30 minutes closer to the Pit than Ash Camp. It's also a bit higher elevation and might be a few degrees cooler. It's still a long ways though from the Pit to the McCloud, you would get more fishing time if you picked one or the other and stuck with it.

Ben Kobrin
08-12-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I stayed at Ah Di Nah earlier this spring. Although the facilities are great, it's a bit too far in for the kind of trip that we're thinking of. Ash Camp is emerging as the most likely suspect. What about camping at Iron Canyon Reservoir? That appears to be a midway point between the two.

JT
08-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Fowler's Camp on the Upper McCloud isn't too far from the Lower McCloud, and it's about 40 minutes from the Pit.

Dan H.
08-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Wooly B. you might try Deep Creek C.G. just above Big Bend between pit 4 & 5 . Also Iron Canyon Resevoir take a float tube its a little closer to the Mcloud side between Mcloud & Big Bend its been years since I have been there hope this helps

MrBig
08-13-2008, 05:01 PM
I've stayed at Fowler's twice. It's pretty nice. It's in the middle of the two areas, assuming you mean McCloud River below the dam. It is walking distance to the river above the dam though. Have fun!