PDA

View Full Version : PRINTING!!!!!

paulegan81
08-10-2008, 06:49 PM
:x :x :x :x :x :x
Man this stuff is a whole lot more complex than I thought...........
It is a lot of fun learning about all the aspects of getting a good quality Print.....
I am really enjoying learning "why" and not just "how"..... :) :)
I sure am burning up a lot of photo paper and ink.... :cry: :cry:

The printing of a shot makes putting one on the BB seem like child's play.....
even when it looks good on the screen I can some how mess it up in printing :? :? :lol: :lol: mostly caused by a mistake in editing :x

anyways it has been a fun day

Tight lines to all
and to all a good fight....

Paul

Adam Grace
08-11-2008, 03:02 PM
yup, there's a whole separate art to printing, especially digital.

SteelieD
08-13-2008, 08:39 PM
I've researched the same thing and it seems a $200 Photo Quality Printer" is not really that...

For those of us who'd rather buy more glass, not expensive printers, what are the good online services for printing?

bolden
08-14-2008, 06:33 PM
For those of us who'd rather buy more glass, not expensive printers, what are the good online services for printing?

The two places i have used are mpix and elco color. Both turned out very good looking prints, although the mpix had a slight color cast which is most likely my uncalibrated monitor.

paulegan81
08-15-2008, 05:08 AM
[quote] my uncalibrated monitor.??????
what dose that mean???
Mike and I have been talking about proofing with an lcd screen witch can be tilted for best contrast but then the print doesn't come out like the screen...
I have to make sure the screen is in the right spot for reality...... with a lap top it is sometimes hard........

Paul......

bolden
08-15-2008, 06:39 PM
what dose that mean???

Without a calibrated monitor, you can't be 100% sure that what you are seeing is the true picture. Depending on your screen, you could be very close to reality, or you could be way off.

Also, for printing you often need a profile from the printer so that the display will show what the photo will look like when printed (you must have a calibrated monitor for this to work right). You can of course make due with an uncalibrated monitor, which i have done just fine. I have found that my printer (crappy all-in-one) makes my photos a little greener than what i see on the monitor, so i have to compensate before i do any printing.

http://spyder.datacolor.com/learn_color1.php

This web site gives a nice explanation about some stuff i said. If you want me to be more specific i might be able to find some better sites.

Good luck

Dave4622
08-31-2008, 02:46 PM
The biggest problem people run into is that while the eye can see about 64 million colors the monitor can display 32 million colors but the printers can only about 6400 of those. Is your printer using one of the RGB profiles or a photo profile which converts RGB to CYMK with two seperate black cartridges?
Printing photos is not an exact art but one which favors the eye of the beholder over the equipment used. I use a program such as Photoshop to import - view - and print the ones I want a hard copy of while the balance I usually just burn on a cd or dvd disc.
Just my two cents worth, Dave

RobK.
10-26-2008, 09:26 AM
I am very lucky , my Dell monitor is right on and what i see is what i get on my printer . Also the prints i get done on canvas are also the same . I have noticed that when i look at my photos on other Lap tops, they are alway different . Sometimes not even close !!

Andy Guibord
10-27-2008, 07:43 AM
Hi Paul. Epson puts out a good book on printing. Go to Fred Miranda's site and look up the forum topic- printing....helped me out.