PDA

View Full Version : Comments on New Scientific Anglers Sharksin Fly Line?

A Matthews
08-10-2008, 04:36 PM
To read about it, this fly line seems pretty high tech. But I am curious to see what the members of the board think about it. Anyone fished it? I am in the market for some new fly line soon. I was thinking about this for an all-purpose American River line. Or the Expert Distance. But it there's something else I should consider, I'd appreciate your two cents.

sacrivertrout
08-10-2008, 10:13 PM
To read about it, this fly line seems pretty high tech. But I am curious to see what the members of the board think about it. Anyone fished it? I am in the market for some new fly line soon. I was thinking about this for an all-purpose American River line. Or the Expert Distance. But it there's something else I should consider, I'd appreciate your two cents.

Make sure you have gloves or the line will bloody up your hand fighting a steely! It *IS* the best casting line on the market.

dtp916
08-11-2008, 01:02 AM
Steelhead sharkskin is the way to go on the Lower American. You will get better control for longer casts and mends with a steelhead taper.

I have fished Ultimate Trout Taper exclusively and will say it is by far the best shooting, floating, and stealth-presentation line on the market. That Heron Blue color is so sweet. It's more of a dry fly line, but I like it so much i use it for most situations.

I watched my buddy throw the Steelhead Sharkskin line into his backing to a Hex riser on Lake Almanor. He got a take and landed the fish!!! Absolutely nuts! This line shoots!

The Magnum is awesome for big stonefly dries and chernobyls in the lower weights and bass and pike bugs in the heavier ones.

I haven't fished the Saltwater version.

I have not had problems with the line cutting my fingers, whatsoever.

loganmike
08-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Just got back from BC with a buddy fishing for Cutts! over 300 between us on dries in 6 days!

He had this line. I must say it casts like a dream!!! a good dream. But with that being said, it whistles through the guides which drove me nuts as I stood next to him and it did cut into his finger as he would strip line in!

me

easymends
08-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Great line, I have mine matched with a 590 ZAxis and its a cannon! The line is rough and certainly does burn when a hot fish runs but you kind of forget about it when you are fighting a fish. It also adds much more dramatics to fishing when your fishing buddy hears your reel screaming from the noise of the line running through the guides.

It will be interesting to see the longevity of the line, SA is claiming it lasts longer than anything on the market hence the $99.00 price tag.

A Matthews
08-11-2008, 08:34 PM
Wow, the casting potential sounds really fun. The posts spark a couple other questions. First, does the line schweep like a nylon windbreaker or sound more like a zipper? And, second, If I want the ability to occasionally throw larger flies, should I go with the magnum or stick with the steelhead taper? Thanks.

Flycanoe
08-12-2008, 10:21 AM
I've been using the trout taper on my 5wt for 5 months on both rivers and lakes and really like it.

It casts very well both overhead and roll, shoots farther, rides higher on the water allowing easier mending and lifting longer line, and maintains the same performance all day long without cleaning.

The noise is not objectionable to me on stillwaters and not even noticeable above the water noise on rivers.

If I am doing a lot of stripping with streamers for several hours, I will use nylon finger sleeves to minimize skin abrasion, but that's not really necessary for shorter times.

In the future, I plan to upgrade my steelhead line to use the steelhead version as well.

Phil Synhorst
08-12-2008, 06:45 PM
I finally put decent use to mine this weekend. I really like it, as Flycanoe said, it casts very nicely. I was really amazed with how well it shoots. I use it on a 4wt., went one weight up for my rod, perhaps could have gone two, my rod has a bit of beef to it. As almost everyone has said, use something to protect your fingers if you're going for bigger fish, or are doing a lot of stripping. I'm still getting used to hearing it zip through the guides, but it's pretty cool, IMHO.

A Matthews
08-12-2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks, again, everyone. I can't think of a reason not to get this line. I love casting. And, the thought of getting that much more performance for longer and better drifts is hard to pass up . Maybe I'll go with a 9 wt line for by 8wt to get a little extra umph? Ah, something to daydream over at work all week!

JD
08-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Sharkskin casts fine but boy are is it noisy going through the guides. It is pretty much like casting Gudebrod braided dacron all day. No thanks.

dtp916
08-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Wow, the casting potential sounds really fun. The posts spark a couple other questions. First, does the line schweep like a nylon windbreaker or sound more like a zipper? And, second, If I want the ability to occasionally throw larger flies, should I go with the magnum or stick with the steelhead taper? Thanks.

The magnum has a thinner running line, so it isn't the best for nymphing and mending for steelhead. I would stick with the steelhead version for better line control, mend-ability, and roll casts.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Some people who have it think it's great.

We have heard it is noisy and is rough on your fingers too.