PDA

View Full Version : Ed Story of 'Feather-Craft' 1934-2008

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-09-2008, 12:18 PM
Ed Story, my dad, passed away on Monday, August 4th. Ed was a U.S. Army veteran, owner and founder of Feather-Craft Fly Fishing, teacher and friend to many. Ed created the F-C Crackleback Dry Woolly and dozens of other world famous fresh and saltwater fly patterns. Everyone who met Ed would quickly consider him a friend. If you happened to run into him walking through our St. Louis storefront, he'd smile, shake your hand and ask, "How can I help?" Chances are ten minutes later he had you on the casting yard or at the tying bench giving you a personal lesson. He had a dynamic personality and a boundless energy for spreading the joy of fly fishing. His energy was also felt by thousands of his customers/friends that he advised and mentored over the F-C phone lines for over three decades. He loved teaching and talking about fly fishing almost as much as he loved doing it.

My dad and I have been best friends and business partners since I was twelve years old; working side by side the past 28 years we never had one argument. He was loaded with wisdom that applied to both business and life. "Be nice to everybody" was his favorite advice to give, and exactly the way he lived his life. When he began handing me the reigns to the family business almost a decade ago, he knew that he had instilled in me his commitment, compassion, spirit and enthusiasm for fly fishing, and for Feather-Craft. All of us here at Feather-Craft will miss Ed terribly, but we will continue on with the highest level of service and commitment to our customers and to our sport, just as he wanted.

The Story family has initiated the "Ed Story Memorial Fund" that will benefit a restoration project on one of Ed's favorite Missouri trout streams. Our hope is to spearhead a significant project that can be dedicated in his memory. Any donations can be sent to: Ed Story Memorial Fund c/o Feather-Craft, PO Box 19904, St. Louis, MO 63144.

Sincerely,
Bob Story

Rick J
08-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Hands down Feather Craft is my favorite catalog - great stuff for fly tying!! Very sad to hear about Ed

Dabalone
08-10-2008, 06:05 PM
My Condolences to you and your family. Was he vet?