PDA

View Full Version : Creek and Pond Report

Hairstacker
08-08-2008, 02:07 PM
David Lee and I got together and spent a day wet wading a creek and a pond and catching quite a variety of fish on flies, including largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, spotted bass, green sunfish, bluegills, and various hybrids. Didn't catch anything of particular size but still a kick given the light tackle we used and the numbers of cooperative fish.

Here's a picture of David standing in the creek after catching another "spotty" (seemed like everytime I turned around, David was stripping in another fish. 8) ):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/Creek200808-061.jpg

Here's one of the spots David caught in the creek. The picture doesn't do it justice, as it was a very pretty fish in person with its pale blue cheeks:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/Creek200808-062.jpg

We mostly fished the creek with a small size 6-8 crawdad pattern and a little olive sculpin pattern. I also caught some on a size 6 black strymph. Out of the 3, the best pattern by far was the little olive sculpin pattern.

And here's a pretty hybrid David caught in the creek. Once again, the picture just doesn't come near to doing it proper justice, as the vertical lines you see on this fish were actually a very vivid neon blue color:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Sachlil/Creek200808-063.jpg

Forgot to take any pictures of the pond we fished. The thing was loaded with bluegills and a few small bass and we caught our share using small topwater patterns. I tested a little foam bug I made up and got both bluegills and a small largemouth on it. :D Once again, great fun on light tackle.

Always fun and relaxing to spend a summer day wet wading small waters!

Ed Wahl
08-08-2008, 05:44 PM
Way to go guys. \:D/ That's what I like to see after a long day of throwing liquor.

It seems impossible for us mere mortals to get the full effect of the coloration on the fish we catch.

It'd be worth giving up a spot to have a talented photographer come along to handle the camera. Ed

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-08-2008, 11:12 PM
That looks like a lot of fun..............

David Lee
08-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Great day on the water .

Our average size was way down from the past several years ..... but the numbers were pretty over the top . Over the top to the tune of 100+ .

Mike's flies were great - he tied them specificly for this stream , and they just killed !! It seemed like the fish were standing in line for his Sculpin ....... I had 16 in a row landed (out of one shallow run) plus twice that many dropped , high sticking that little bug on a short line .

We could have been skunked and it would have been a fun time - Hairstacker is just the coolest guy to spend time with ... fishing or just hanging out !! Thanks for the visit , Mike !!

David

Hairstacker
08-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Hey David, likewise, thank you very much for having me up your way and being such a great host!! One of the most enjoyable days of the season, for sure. :D Anyone who has the chance to fish with David simply must do so -- you'll have a great time and you'll be fishing with one of the most knowledgeable fishermen and fly tiers I've ever met. Can't wait to do this again!