PDA

View Full Version : 70# striper

Charlie Gonzales
08-07-2008, 09:09 PM
The sniffer is reporting a 70.6# striper caught in San Louis today. Couldnt find a pic. Sounds like the fish was killed because they thaught was going to be a new record.

Tony P
08-08-2008, 06:03 AM
It's not going to be a new record since it wasn't weighed on a certified scale. The folks at Coyote Bait & Tackle pleaded with the guy to go weigh it on a certified scale that could handle the weight but he didn't want to. Here is a link to the photo. http://www.coyotebait.com/

Tony P

paulegan81
08-08-2008, 07:23 AM
so it will be killed (was) for nothing more than meat........
Got to love those type of gear guys

Paul

Tony P
08-08-2008, 08:00 AM
so it will be killed (was) for nothing more than meat........
Got to love those type of gear guys

Paul

I’m not sticking up for the fisherman but I don’t think we should harp on someone that didn’t do anything illegal. There are a lot of things to consider that we might not know. Yes he might have kept it for food or just to show off to his friends but that had a right to do that. I have fished the Forebay & Big Lake many times during the summer months & have caught my share of big fish that no matter hard you try to recuperate them they expire which might have happened to him. If we really want to go off on people for their fishing practices let bash all the people fishing the Forebay, Big Lake, & Delta that have no respect for size or limit restrictions because I see that almost every time I’m out on those bodies of water.

Tony P

P.S. I’m a fly fisherman & gear fisherman who on occasion keeps a fish or two for dinner.

wasatch
08-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Whether for meat or a record, it always sucks to see anyone take a fish like that.

mike N
08-08-2008, 11:54 AM
At least he fishes G loomis.

Heck of a fish, worthy of a mount.

MN

paulegan81
08-08-2008, 10:02 PM
yea you can get a mount with out killing the fish and the taxidermist would rather have it that way and........
tonyP. if you kill a fish like that then you are one of that type.......not all gear guys/gals kill fish for show........lets consider that he just killed a female witch would have produced several million eggs each year...........one for dinner is one thing but a breading female is another and yes i now it is legal..... that is one part of the regulations I dont agree with........

tight lines to all
and to all a good fight......
Paul.......

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-08-2008, 11:10 PM
Half of that fish............35# would be a fish of a lifetime for most of us.

Dabalone
08-09-2008, 09:17 AM
yea you can get a mount with out killing the fish and the taxidermist would rather have it that way and........
tonyP. if you kill a fish like that then you are one of that type.......not all gear guys/gals kill fish for show........lets consider that he just killed a female witch would have produced several million eggs each year...........one for dinner is one thing but a breading female is another and yes i now it is legal..... that is one part of the regulations I dont agree with........

tight lines to all
and to all a good fight......
Paul.......

Wow, what a fish. Im thinking my 9 wt. would be little puny matched up to something like that.

We all like to see large fish released unharmed. In the case of a obvious or even possible state or world record fish how could anyone criticize for keeping it to verify weight, unfortunately this process probably would kill the fish. Should we get rid of the record books to save big fish? The sad thing, is the guy did not follow procedure to validate it as a record. One more thing, the stripers in San Louis may try spawning but are unlikely to be successful since the eggs need at least two days of current via a river and at optimum temps to keep them from sinking to the bottom. The lake is virtually stocked with fish from the delta via the pumps and are landlocked. Probably means this huge fish never successfully spawned anyways, too bad because that gene pool was a good one.

paulegan81
08-10-2008, 05:04 AM
true....
and as for the record books yes i under stand that the fish need to be killed.... (they need to come up with a better idea) but the story goes that he did not even take it to a certified scale???????? That is a shame.....
I don't frown on keeping a few a year for dinner (small males) i do the same.....I do not agree with killing the big fish...... and I don't agree with DFG's size limits......

and in my first post I never said we should hang the guy or any thing like that Just put out my feelings that it was a shame he killed the fish without due cause IMO.....

Paul....
tight lines to all
and to all a good fight....