PDA

View Full Version : Summer Steelheading

WinterrunRon
08-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Hey gang,

I'm thinking of taking the family camping before school starts. Thought we might head to Southwest Oregon for a week. I've heard they have a couple of steelheading waters there :wink:. I've not fished for summer steelhead before and thought someone might have been recently and/or have some good ideas where me and my two-handed rod could give it a go.

Coastal river destinations would be preferable, but I'd like to visit the Umpqua just to see it and fish it if it would be a viable option. Advice or guide contacts welcomed! Thanks. :D

Ron

jayclarkflyfishing
08-05-2008, 03:27 PM
Ron,
The North Umpqua is always a viable option this time of year.There are fish in the system and any chance to fish this amazing river is worthwhile.The Rogue has fish as well but it is still very high for this time of year and I haven't been hearing any reports.Best of luck!
Jay

bigtj
08-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Give Joe Howell a call at Blue Heron Fly Shop and check out the NU. You can camp at Susan Creek campground. Fish a floating line and dries. You'll probably catch fish and I guarantee you'll have fun regardless. Fish the AM and PM hours and take a nap while the sun is on the water.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-05-2008, 10:32 PM
There are some Steelhead in the Lower Klamath, Lower Rogue and the North Umpqua Rivers right now.

This time of year it is usually best early and late in the day unless it is raining, cloudy, overcast, foggy or smokey, then it could fish some in the day time.

WinterrunRon
08-06-2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks, gents. I'll report any excitement.