PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing in Mission Bay

lynnwhite44
08-04-2008, 10:12 AM
I'm heading to San Diego for a family vacation later this week. We are staying at Paradise Point in Mission Bay. I was thinking about bringing some fly gear and fishing around the resort. I have never fished saltwater so this is all new. If anyone has any advice for me I would greatly appreciate it. What flies, locations and times. I will probably only fish at sunrise while the family is asleep which should bode well as incoming tides this week are in the mornings and I've read the incoming tide is the best....I think. I have a float tube and pontoon boat but I may just leave these at home.

Thanks

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-04-2008, 09:21 PM
http://www.danblanton.com/baybassfly2.htm

Found this article on Dan Blanton's web site.

FlyFlogger
08-05-2008, 02:56 PM
If you are taking your float tube to fish from, I would float up in the top of the bay by the San Diego Sailing Center, which you can google online in a search, or use google earth for a overhead view. There is alot of eel grass there for the bass, and a buoy line which is a slow speed zone between the buoys and shore so the boats which pull water skiers will stay out of. If you look at a map of the bay and find the San Diego Sailing Center in say the Northern most part of the bay, if you look south you'll see a couple of bridges on your left. Those are also good spots to fish, but there is ALOT of boat traffic in most areas, so using a float tube limits what I think are safe areas to be in one. You can rent skiffs for the day if you feel inclined. Most of the guys including myself fish the bay early in the am before all the boats get on the water. It gets very busy during the summer...

I would use an 8wt preferably with some sort of sinking line/head as I would be targeting the 5-15 foot depths. Clousers and other flies that imitate bait fish should get you bit. I would have some Chartreuse/White, Orange/Brown and trout colors and maybe silver something ?? with me to try out. A few wildcard colors would be trout colors, and something like clam with some light creme, gold, and black colors mixed in. Hope this helps,
Perry

Paul B.
08-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Book a half day with Peter Piconi. @http://flyfishsandiego.com/ highly recommended You will have a lot more fun. It's worth every dime. Cheers, Paul

lynnwhite44
08-13-2008, 01:20 PM
thanks for the help guys. I was able to get out one morning with my 8wt. Caught 4 spotted bass. Nothin big but they sure fight hard. Sorry no pix.

Todd
09-02-2008, 10:54 AM
I know its too late, just saw your post. I fish Mission Bay a lot. I rent a skiff from Sea Forth Boat rentals $50 / 4 hrs. Spotties can be had on a regular basis using small clousers. I use a Sage 6wt Xi2 in the bay (360 gr sink tip with running line). Fishing under Ingram st bridge is very productive. Although many parts of the bay yield spotties. You want to fish either an incoming or out going tide.

Dead drifting your skiff at the bait barge located in Quivera marina (Sea Forth there too) can be a lot of fun, 3 weeks ago I was catching Barracuda, now possibly the Bonita may be there as well. The Bonita are a blast and the 6wt, rod is plenty.

For off-shore fishing, especially Mako shark on the fly, visit;

http://www.captdavetrimble.com

The Makos are an incredible game fish, they can come 5' out of the water seconds after setting the hook. You cast to them 20-30' from the boat as they are attracted by a chum box.

Going off-shore we caught Bonita in the 5-10lb range, Dorado in the 8-15lb range (fishing kelp patties) I used a Sage Large Mouth rod, which held up well. There is a lot of excellent fly rod fishing in the area, including large mouth bass in reservoirs located within 45 minutes of Mission Bay. visit: http://www.bowmanbluewater.com Conway Bowman works for the City of SD and manages some of these reservoirs, or see current articles in latest California Fly Fisher mag.

Sorry I just saw your post, I would not recommend a float tube, water is too big, and too much boat traffic....the $50 skiff rental is the best way to go..

Todd