PDA

View Full Version : Retirement..................???

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-04-2008, 07:42 AM
My wife Marilyn gets on me for preaching too much to other grey haired fly fishers about this subject.

I have been in the fishing tackle retail business for 43 years now and have seen thousands of mostly male fly fishers go down life's highway.

I watched all my old "geezer patrol" friends retire and enjoy themselves for 20 plus years now.

http://www.kiene.com/images/geezer.jpg

When I was up on the Klamath River about 30 years ago with Joe Shirshac I realized I was born to be retired.

We met some retired fly fishers who had a trailer on the Klamath River in a big camp ground by Orleans. Their wife and dog was with them and they stayed there for a month or two so they could really hit those runs of Steelhead in the fall.

I then realized I want to be one of those guys some day.

Some day having a trailer and boat down on the Delta in the spring and fall for about a month each would be my dream too.

I am a "baby boomer" (1945) and most of my friends are all retiring like crazy right now.

We still have a few years to go but I hope we can make it some day.

Work is for those who can't afford to retire or those who have nothing else to do. If you are normal you will feel like you want to retire some day too. If not......keep working.......someone has to pay the taxes.

Jeff C.
08-04-2008, 09:19 AM
Bill,

I already retired once (from the Feds). I have to keep working to be able to keep buying stuff to support my fly fishing habit (just got a new pairs of G3s). I need a 3 wt. setup next. It's never ending!

Jeff C.

Jay Murakoshi
08-04-2008, 09:28 AM
I retired 6 years ago and have never, never, never regretted one day. I love it when I go fishing and no one is around. The downside is most of the guys I fish with still work and can only fish the weekends. That's my day of rest.

Thought about going back to work part time - but why? I have a full time 24/7 job right now :D

Ahhhh, show I go fishing today?

Jay

captnorm
08-04-2008, 08:01 PM
I also retired 6 years ago. First day of retirement, I started the first of 40 treatments of radiation for prostate cancer! Got it over early so I could enjoy retirement! Get your PSA checked! It caught mine early! 8)

Norm

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Good for you Norm......

luckyt
08-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Bill...the only words of wisdom I have on retirement are:

Retirement is not near as good as everybody says it is....it is much better.

The definition of a perfect retirement is: You wake up in the morning with nothing you really have to do and by noon you are behind.

Do it as soon as you can Bill and never look back. Tom

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-05-2008, 10:50 PM
I thought it would be fun to set your alarm every morning then just go back to bed.