PDA

View Full Version : Calaveras vs. Stanislaus

Steelie-Stalker
08-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Though normally i would be fishing for salmon on the American River, it has been banned, so i was looking to explore some central valley streams for trout fly fishing. I've heard good things about both these rivers, but im not sure as far as fishing seasons. Im guessing that late summer isnt a real good time to get out there, but i'd like to give it a try. I was just wondering if i could get help on choosing between the Calaveras and the Stanislaus. Also some tips on how to fish either one would be very much appreciated.

thanks so much!
-Steelie-Stalker

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-04-2008, 12:27 AM
You might check with Bob Nakagawa at "Sierra Anglers" fly shop in Modesto.

mark
08-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Both are pretty warm now as they are relatively close to the valley floor. Id get up above 5-6000 feet and start fishing if you can, temps are bearable and the scenery is amazing. September October the tailwaters come alive again and fish almost everywhere can be awesome. Man I cant wait for fall.

-Mark

Scott V
08-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Last time I fished Calaveras was last September and had one of the best trout trips. I am not sure what the conditions are like now but since the weather has been the same as last year, even a little cooler, I would expect it to be just as good.

And as Mark said you can never go wrong by going high in elevation. Plus it is alot more pleasant in the mountains.

Steelie-Stalker
08-04-2008, 02:31 PM
Thanks much guys! Really appreciate the info. I cant wait for fall either, i've got fly fishing fever. If i eventually get out anywhere ill make sure to report with lots of pics.

thanks

mark
08-05-2008, 07:59 AM
Cool, have fun, give us a report when you get back. You should have a blast. Take a tent and make a road trip out of it and you can save some dough for the gas.

Steelie-Stalker
08-05-2008, 11:55 AM
haha yeah maybe in 2 years when i get my driver's license.

mark
08-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Thats awesome though, 14 and already you've got fly fishing fever. Maybe until you get our wheels you can fish locally in your area. Wen i was 14 i grabbed my bike and fishing pole and back then I used worms and had some great days catching bluegills etc. Check out bass ponds lakes etc, try some small clouser minnow flies, you will catch fish on the fly if you get after them. Once you get your wheels then it really opens up your opportunities.

Good luck with it and feel free to message me if you ever need advice, directions, flies whatever....... keep fishing!!!