PDA

View Full Version : Caples Lake in drawdown mode

JerryInLodi
07-31-2008, 03:58 PM
Caples Lake drawdown continues Streams to remain at higher levels into September: Area recreation businesses are open throughout the drawdown

July 31, 2008, Placerville, CA Drawdown of water stored in the Caples Lake reservoir along Highway 88 in Alpine County continues, resulting in higher-than-usual water flows for this time of the year in Caples Creek and the Silver Fork American River. At this time, the stream flows are expected to remain at the current levels through August and the first few weeks of September. However, fluctuations... Read the rest of the story at http://www.calsport.org

Bill Markwood
08-01-2008, 07:15 AM
Thanks for posting the link to the full article on Caples Lake. I was planning on hiking to Lake Margaret in two weeks, but I read that the trail is closed. Looks like I'll have to go to "Plan B".

Scott V
08-08-2008, 01:30 PM
I just read in the Sacramento Business Journal that they plan on draining down Silver Lake next year for similar repairs. Also Jenkinson Lake has put in a request for the water from Caples. If the request is granted the water would go through the Hazel Creek tunnel.

JerryInLodi
08-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Scott, there appears to be some faults in El Dorado and DFG's plan for fish rescue in Caples. It may be that the residual pool left after the lake is drained may not be deep enough for the fish to winter over.

I believe CSPA's FERC Contracts rep, Chris Shutes drove up to the lake yesterday to consult and observe the problem. I don't have his report yet so I can't tell you what he found. I'll try to put an article on the CSPA site as soon as I find out.

Scott V
08-08-2008, 03:54 PM
Jerry,
I had been told by a EID employee that they were going to shock the fish out, but what I have heard from everyone else is that there is no plan for that. I hope they do something to move those fish, if not it looks like another delta rescue operation by those of us that are willing to do what can be done.

JerryInLodi
08-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Scott, I know of no plan to move the fish. As I understand it, a coffer dam will be built allowing for a minimum pool in the lake for the fish to winter in. The question is the depth of the pool. It may not be deep enough. I'll know more when Chris writes his report.

El Rey
08-08-2008, 07:29 PM
What are the effects on the Silver Fork. With the high flows is it still fishable? I might have to go check it out.

JerryInLodi
08-08-2008, 09:34 PM
Scott and all, Chris is back and it will take about a week to sort everything out. He'll have a report on what's going on and if there's any role for volunteers to play as soon as he can.

I'll post more when I know more.