PDA

View Full Version : String leeches

slage
07-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Howdy,

Looking for info and opinions on string leeches. I am inquiring about the "matuka" style S.L. rather than the "hackled" version.

Wondering about a couple of things:
1. Do you favor securing the bunny to the trailing hook, or leaving it free?

2. If preference is in securing the tag end to the trailer hook, what has worked best? Lashing the matertial down to the trailer. Tubes. Poking the hook thru the bunny?
Etc.

Thanks,

Jasonh
08-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Check out Tom Larimer's loop leech on this site www.larimeroutfitters.com

Brian Silvey also has some cool leech style patterns that available thru Idylwilde flies. We have a couple of them in the shop.

Hope this helps a little.

Charlie Gonzales
08-26-2008, 08:08 PM
This will be hard to explain, but use to make mine from black 30# Gudebrod braided butt leader(the stuff we use to make loops on the end of fly lines). I would make loop on the front end(double catch system) extend it back 4 to 6 inches put on my trailer hook, then make another loop. The hook would be held inside that rear loop. I would then tye a bit of flash and my zonker strip right behind that first loop and a cone head of any size could be slid right over the loop. Very easy to cast and had great movement.

Darian
08-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Charlie,.... If I understand your instructions correctly, the result will be the trailer hook will be dropped thru the rear loop and pulled tight (similar to a Palomar Knot) and the body of the fly is tied directly to the braided loop material between the first and second loops.... 8) 8)

Very innovative.... :) :) :)

Charlie Gonzales
08-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Thanks Darian, I actually leave the rear loop open so the hook moves freely. If I could access my photobucket account I would post pictures( I think I will just have to start a new account).